Stove makes a loud banging noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperion

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2009
Eastern PA
Just had a new wood stove put in over the summer (Scan Anderson 10), so far it burns really well and we are really pleased with it. However, once hot, it makes a loud banging noise from time to time (sometimes every 5 minutes). I think it's probably from the cast iron expanding and contracting, but I don't remember my old VC making this noise, at least not this often. Should I be worried?

Call the dealer. If it is happening every 5 or so minutes they should be able to diagnose the problem. It could be something as simple as a shroud or heat shield is loose. But they should look to see if it is something more serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.