Stove newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondestar1616

Jan 12, 2015
Ohio
And I cannot find a previous thread that seems to pertain to my issues.
Recently installed a refurbished earthstove wood burning insert with catalytic converter and blowers to our masonry fireplace. It had previously had a gas insert so we had a 6" chimney liner in Great condition that we used.

First week of burning went well raising temp in house approximately 10 degrees but outside temp was in the 30-40s. However this was not a well seasoned wood, but it was ash but had not been felled for 6 months.
Fast forward a couple of weeks and we have had temps in single digits. We now have well seasoned wood but are having issues getting sufficient heat. Wood seems to last about 3-4 hours at best completely full but it never seems to raise temperature of house although the blowers are blowing out hot air it doesn't seem as much as before and is not raising temp of house more than a degree sometimes and that is after a couple Of hours.

Any tips? Is it likely just because of too cold of temps ? Manual on stove says should burn 9-10 hours and heat approx 1500 sq ft

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
How did you get "well seasoned wood" In a few weeks. Did you get a different supply that you checked the moisture content on or are you assuming that with a few more weeks on it your original supply is seasoned better. The wood you were burning a few weeks ago is the same now as it was then. You were getting enough heat out of it in milder temps to heat your house but enough for the more severe weather. Sounds like a classic case of wood that's not dry enough. We've all been there.
Others may think of something else but I'm guessing the wood Is the culprit and you are boiling water.

More details would help, like your floor plan and stove location, model of your stove and the size of the firebox, and also how well your house is insulated. Everyone will question your wood also--have you used a moisture meter on the new face of a fresh split? Also, what do you mean by the wood "lasting" 3 or 4 hours? The manual's burn time probably includes the long coaling stage, which often doesn't throw off enough heat when it gets really cold. Lots of threads on here lately about what to do with your coals so you can start another fire.

How did you get "well seasoned wood" In a few weeks. Did you get a different supply that you checked the moisture content on or are you assuming that with a few more weeks on it your original supply is seasoned better. The wood you were burning a few weeks ago is the same now as it was then. You were getting enough heat out of it in milder temps to hear your house but enough for the more severe weather. Sounds like a classic case of wood that's not dry enough. We've all been there.
Others may think of something else but I'm guessing the wood Is the culprit and you are boiling water.

We got a different supply of wood :) I have not done a moisture test where do I get one of those ? This wood we are burning now has been felled over a year and visibly "looks" much dryer than what we were burning that was actually producing more heat which makes me think we have another issue ?

More details would help, like your floor plan and stove location, model of your stove and the size of the firebox, and also how well your house is insulated. Everyone will question your wood also--have you used a moisture meter on the new face of a fresh split? Also, what do you mean by the wood "lasting" 3 or 4 hours? The manual's burn time probably includes the long coaling stage, which often doesn't throw off enough heat when it gets really cold. Lots of threads on here lately about what to do with your coals so you can start another fire.

Stove is a newly refurbished Earthstone BV400c-2 wth a catalytic converter as blowers. Located in family room that is long and narrow with an open concept to the rest of the downstairs. House is otherwise insulated fairly well. Firebox is 3.72 cubic feet

I have one I bought on Amazon. The brand is "General" and works great. Lots of threads here on moisture meters and it is the only real way to tell what you are dealing with. Split a piece in half and measure the inside. Anything over 20% moisture content is going to give you an unpleasant burning experience as it seems you are having.

Stove is a newly refurbished Earthstone BV400c-2 wth a catalytic converter as blowers. Located in family room that is long and narrow with an open concept to the rest of the downstairs. House is otherwise insulated fairly well. Firebox is 3.72 cubic feet
Sounds like a wood issue then. I know it sucks to hear. I've been in my house for a year and a half and I am probably looking at another year and a half until I can burn good wood for a full season. Sometimes it's hard to get going.

Checked with the wood supplier (a friend) and the wood we are using now was cut over a year ago. Will work on getting a moisture reader today but it seems like that would at least be adequate although not completely ideal?

Checked with the wood supplier (a friend) and the wood we are using now was cut over a year ago. Will work on getting a moisture reader today but it seems like that would at least be adequate although not completely ideal?

Not necessarily. I have some maple that has been cut in rounds for over 3 years now. If I split it and check it with the meter it is still 25-28% moisture content. Wood doesn't really begin to dry until it is split and stacked to allow good air circulation. If you can get a moisture meter and check a freshly split piece, I'm willing to bet you will be surprised by the results.

This is the meter I have and I have been pretty pleased with it. Only complaint is that you have to hold the on/off button for at least 5 seconds to get it to turn on or off.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_78059-56005-MMD4E_0__?productId=3136919&Ntt=moisture meter&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=moisture+meter&facetInfo=

I know many members here also have this meter and seem to be happy with it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-mini-moisture-meter-67145.html

The one mopar references in the first link is the same one I was referring to. General Tools.

Last edited:
Wood can take a year or more to season properly with the clock starting after the wood is split and nicely stacked so that air can move through the stack. That is according to my definition and the definition a lot of people on this site use. However, there is no dictionary definition of 'seasoned' and many people consider a few months split and piled up to be adequate seasoning. So, your firewood seller friend might be honestly saying the wood is seasoned, and the wood might not be dry enough.

If the stove is blowing out good hot air it could be the house is the problem. Where is the stove installed relative to the rest of the house? How many sq ft is it heating? Is the an attic door in the house or attic fan vent? Are there a lot of recessed can light fixtures?

If the stove is blowing out good hot air it could be the house is the problem. Where is the stove installed relative to the rest of the house? How many sq ft is it heating? Is the an attic door in the house or attic fan vent? Are there a lot of recessed can light fixtures?
I have got a moisture meter now and I think the problem with the wood is what I grabbed from the stack he brought is what was stacked on the bottom and it was not on a skid. So some of it drewmoisture in. Other pieces are very dry. Which also explains why it was fine for a while an just bad the last couple of days.

However I still don't feel like it is warming it quite as I thought it would although today it is approx 30 out and it raised it to about 70 with no furnace help. Imagine my house as a square with an enclosed staircase going right up the middle of the house. Other than where the stairs are the house is open concept with normal ceilings not high at all. The stove insert is located in the northeast corner of the house. No creased light fixtures. Downstairs is approximately 1200 sq ft. No attic access in house.

How many pieces of wet wood are you putting in each time? Are you filling the box? Or putting in 2-3 so you get a nice flame..... Try closing off any doors to rooms that you really don't need to heat, if your trying to heat your entire house, your in trouble....

How many pieces of wet wood are you putting in each time? Are you filling the box? Or putting in 2-3 so you get a nice flame..... Try closing off any doors to rooms that you really don't need to heat, if your trying to heat your entire house, your in trouble....

Now that I realize it is wet I have been testing it and using the dryer pieces. We usually put about 5 logs in which is basically full. I can shut two more doors which are the farthest away from the stove. The upstairs doors are closed and we're not wanting to heat the upstairs.

Do you have a block-off plate? https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/

Sounds like the fireplace is at an exterior wall. Would there be room to put some insulation around it? https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-got-around-to-insulating-my-fireplace.75755/
You can check with an IR thermometer the back of the fireplace outside. You will probably be surprised how much warmer that is compared with the wall a few feet away.

P.S. I think that stove needs 18" of hearth measured in a straight line from the door. The picture may be deceiving but it looks like you don't have that.

Last edited:

Now that I realize it is wet I have been testing it and using the dryer pieces. We usually put about 5 logs in which is basically full. I can shut two more doors which are the farthest away from the stove. The upstairs doors are closed and we're not wanting to heat the upstairs.
I used to sit on the couch, feel a draft on my neck and realize that the stove was pulling cold air from areas that I had no intention of heating, closing those doors 2 for me, as well as closet doors, kitchen cabinets, etc, made a big difference for me, but the biggest difference for me is burning under 18% dry wood! as well as having species like red oak! beech! black locust..... Also, when it gets under 30 degrees, your going to struggle.....

Status
Not open for further replies.