Stove noises

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
From time to time I'll get a little carried away loading the organic fuel rods into my reactor and get it a little too hot for my liking. As the CAT thermometer climbs to 1500 or so it starts creaking and pinging. It is a plate steel stove and I'm thinking it's normal but it scares the bejeebies out of my wife. Anybody having the same noises? There is a sheet metal outer shell to my stove which probably adds to the sound effects.

I call it growling and I love when my stove does it. Metal will expand with heat - it's gonna do some creeking.

Usually - I can't hear it for the noise of the blower. It's usually right when I start starving it air and choke it down - the firebox will glow with red and blue tones and the metal will sound like - tink,tink,tink,tink..... it's a good sound. Nothing to fear. It's saying "here comes the heat"!

What startles my wife more, for some reason, is the repeat of some noises as the stove later cools down. Also, we have a heavy-gauge heat shield behind one stove which does the same thing, pops as it heats up and then as it cools down and contracts.

But, I don't blame you for asking. A stove is a steel or iron or soapstone box that is extremely hot with a big fire inside. If something were to go wrong, the thing fall apart, it could be lethal. But you are almost certainly ok and the noises are just the stresses building or releasing in the metals and joints. Similar noises can be heard in old water radiators and even big oil furnaces and etc., often heard through the ductwork.

My 30-NC is a whole orchestra. First the right side heat shield "thunks" once around four hundred degrees. Then the "tink,tink,tink" tells me it is at five hundred stove top and it is time for the final adjustment then a few minutes later the "thud" from the door latch and it is settled in for the burn.

And more "tinks" and it is time to get myself back over there because it is headed north of 600.

Yeah, the stove makes all kinds of funny sounds. As long as it does not glow orange visibly, as I may have done in the past, your probably good to go...

haha, the oslo....

rake the coals, pack it to the gills, breathe life into it, and she starts talkin' to ya :)

creaks, pings, clicks, groans, every once in a while, on a cold, dark, windy, winter night, you almost can hear her talkin' to you.....

basswidow said:
I call it growling and I love when my stove does it. Metal will expand with heat - it's gonna do some creeking.

Usually - I can't hear it for the noise of the blower. It's usually right when I start starving it air and choke it down - the firebox will glow with red and blue tones and the metal will sound like - tink,tink,tink,tink..... it's a good sound. Nothing to fear. It's saying "here comes the heat"!

That's what my wife says . . . she says the sounds coming from the stove are "sounds of heat."

Yeah I get a room full of tinks, pings and dongs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.