Stove only works on low setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim772

Dec 23, 2008
MD
Can any one tell me why my Paragon 5440 only works on the low setting. When changed to a higher setting the stove last for twenty minutes before cutting off. The stove is approximately 8- 10 years old.

Tim772 said:
Can any one tell me why my Paragon 5440 only works on the low setting. When changed to a higher setting the stove last for twenty minutes before cutting off. The stove is approximately 8- 10 years old.

Likely (there are other possible causes but we can start here) your convection blower is thermaling off causing the stove to hit its hi limit and shut down.

Clean the blower, the blower motor, oil its bearings if they aren't sealed, clean out the convection air path from the blower through the heat exchanger tubes, and make certain that there is a clear air path to the blower from outside the shell of your stove.

If it is the hi limit that is doing it what is taking place is that the stove is producing more heat than the convection air is removing via the heat exchanger. This causes the temperature of the metal surfaces in the stove to slowly rise until it reaches the point that the snap disc opens interrupting the pellet feed.

If your feed rate and convection air can be independently controlled on your stove then you can increase the convection blower speed so that the shut down doesn't occur.

An other cause would be a change in vacuum trips the vacuum switch, the amount of air flow does change when you change the firing rate, if this is the case step one would be to clean the stove, especially the exhaust system and check the vacuum hose for obstruction or defects.

Status
Not open for further replies.