stove or insert for 1,400 sq foot home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drumlace

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2010
Maine
First off what a great site. I've been popping in here off and on for a few seasons and have learned a great deal from you folks. I am currently running an old VC insert (model 44 I believe) which is pretty beat up and has a fairly limited burn time. I'd like to upgrade this year and can't decide on whether to put in another insert or change to a stove. I am currently leaning towards a stove maybe a castine or alderlea t5 but don't know if they would be to snug a fit for my fireplace opening which is 35" wide by 28" tall. The fireplace is 24" deep at the base 36" if you include the hearth which is only 12". The VC had a 8" stainless liner that I hope to reuse if I can. I'm planning to do the install myself on whichever unit I choose and hoping for quick and easy switchover. Also, the house is cape style and the chimney is on an outside wall. Thanks in advance for any help.

~ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.