1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stove or insert?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mywaynow, Apr 27, 2013.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Had someone ask me about a new install in an old fireplace. The fireplace is 5 feet wide, 4 feet tall and 3 feet deep. They did not want to hide any portion of the fireplace as part of the project, just get wood heat going. I thought an insert would be best, just less the metal flanges used to close off the opening. Other opinions? Will service a large room with 20 ft ceiling and also hope to provide heat to second floor via doorway from overlook platform in same large room.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    I have an insert and love it, however with a masonry fireplace that large, I would go with a stand alone stove. I really like the look of the white enameled stoves in a masonry fireplace.
  3. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    +1 Clean the inside of the fireplace (and maybe even paint it black if you don't like the look of the stone/brick) and put a free standing stove in there. With a fireplace that large any insert would be lost in the hole and without the surround/trim would probably not look very good.

KaptJaq
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The largest Buck or Kuma stove with blower free standing. And a huge block off plate.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like a big old colonial fireplace. It's big enough that they could put almost anything in there. No point in putting an insert in, some can't be bought without a surround. I would put a freestanding, top vented stove it there with a blower. This could be anything from an Englander 30NC or Big Buck up to a Quad Isle Royale or a Jotul F600 depending on budget and tastes. They definitely will want to line it and put in an insulated, block-off plate, preferably at the lintel level sloping lower toward the back of the fireplace.
  6. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Stove. I say stove. Did I say stove?
  7. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I love my insert, in fact it's fired up now
  8. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I'd go stove.
    No blower required, more flexible installation what with multiple leg heights and outlet options, no fan or wiring required, can be used elsewhere more readily than an insert.
    It will probably just plain look better in such a large fireplace too.

If its an exterior chimney the masonry will suck up a lot the heat produced and transfer it outside.
    If an inside chimney be thankful for the thermal mass.

We painted our fireplace black before installing our stove. The fireplace is on an exterior wall. I think it would work better had we installed some sort of reflector panels in there instead.
  9. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
  10. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Insert without the surround would just look weird in that setting. A nice free standing stove with a blower option would be better. Maybe Joful will post a picture of his setup.
  11. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    What's the update