Stove pad on slate tile floor, yes or no?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

kodaBear

Feb 28, 2016
Mt. Shasta, Ca
We are thinking of buying the Lopi Rockport and setting it directly onto our slate tile floor. Based on all the photos I see, it seems like lots of folks do that. We're wondering if 450 pounds distributed on 4 legs can crack a slate tile? Or dig in and leave marks over the years? Not crazy about a pad, but will get a 1" high one if there's a chance of damaging the floor.

If the slate tile was set well and properly then it should be fine. If you want a bit more protection put a 2"x2" piece of 16ga metal under each foot. Or you could place it on a barrier like a Morso tempered glass hearth pad or on a sheet of metal (painted) or a simple ember protection hearth pad.

http://www.morsona.com/morsoe-hearth-plates
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/imperial-type-2-stove-board-36-in-w-x-52-in-h-black

Thanks for the prompt reply!

You're welcome. Keep us posted on your installation. It would also be great to hear your impressions of the new Rockport.

As mentioned . . . the most important thing is to be sure the slate tile is supported well underneath with little to no flex. In my case I used a couple layers of plywood and Durock. Installed my heavy woodstove in 2008 and no cracks or discernible movement.

I have mine sitting in slate so far so good

What is under the slate? Is it set on a concrete floor?
If it is a wooden floor, how big are the joists. How far do they span? How far apart are the joists?
How thick is the wood subfloor?

If the joists span too far, or the plywood is too thin, there will be some flex in that floor and that big stove could crack the slate.

Reactions: madison
I JUST put a ply board then the Hardie board lasted one year so far the progress is a heavy stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.