stove partially inside fireplace, or outside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
i'm slowly getting my plans together to install a wood stove (likely for next year) and measured out my fireplace. it's got an arch-type form so i think i'm limited as to what can fit inside the fireplace. i'm wondering if there's a guideline for getting a stove that will fit partially into the fireplace of an existing masonry chimney, or is it OK/better/worse to have one that sits outside? thanks for the help!

For looks, I'd say they are usually better in. For my personal preference (since I use a stove for heat) I don't mind them sticking out at all as they will heat better that way w/out the blower running.

The biggest thing I'd think you'll have to look at is the clearance to combustibles in the front if it sticks out much (don't forget about the mantel either if it's wood). Might end up needing to extend the hearth in this case.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.