Stove Pipe Clearance in Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dunlap805

Nov 17, 2015
Pennsylvania
I am putting a Salvo Citation in my basement but due to the thimble location and the low ceilings I have a clearance issue. The distance from the cement floor to the bottom of the floor joists is a little more than 6 feet. I will be using single wall stove pipe but because of the location of the thimble in the solid stone wall the stove pipe will run parallel to the ceiling for about 2 feet and will put the pipe about 10 inches, give or take, away from the bottom edge of the joists. The ceiling is exposed floor joists with spray insulation on the underside of the floor above and a little on the sides of the joists.

This is my plan .... hang cement board from metal studs that I will attach to the joists (the studs giving more than 1 inch of air space between the joists and cement board) and then for added protection attaching a heat shield to the section single wall stove pipe that would be parallel to the floor joists running to the thimble .

How do you all think this combination of shielding will work? Do you think it will solve my clearance issue?

Here is a link to the stove pipe heat shield I will be using.

http://www.imperialgroup.ca/stove_stoveboardsheatshields.cfm?c=346

Update just for clarification ... I contacted manufacturer of the heat shield and they confirmed the heat shield can be mounted on a horizontal section of pipe.

With the double coverage it should do a decent job of protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.