Stove Pipe clearance - Single vs Double Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Howdy fellow hearthers.

I can't seem to wrap my head around the stove pipe clearance detail in my 30-NC user manual. Wondering if someone would comment to give me a sanity check.
link to manual:
https://heatredefined.com/pages/support#reamaze#1#/kb/stove-support/owners-manuals

Model 30-NC, Installation & Operation manual page 6, CANADA Clearance to Combustibles Table, Protected Surfaces (NFPA-211) section:
Side and Rear shields with S I N G L E wall C H I MN E Y connector:
Side (A) = N/A, Side (B) = N/A, Side (D) = N/A
Side and Rear shields with D O U B L E wall ................. connector:
Side (A) = 12-in, Side (B) = 5-in **, Side (D) = 12-in

I asked tech support:
D O U B L E wall clearances are greater than S I N G L E wall clearance. Is this correct?
Answer I got from tech. support is "Yes because its more radiant heat with double wall"

I can understand the N/A reference but I don't understand tech support.
What do you think? Thx

From what I read the single wall clearances are larger

I looked at the manual from your link

The way I read it is that the clearances for a single wall are the same as double wall pipe regardless of the surface protection, meaning (A) 21 in; (B) 8 in; (D) 15 in.

While not the best readable text, I would think the N/A under the protected surfaces section of the table means it defaults back to the unprotected surfaces side which have greater clearances than compared to the double wall pipe.

We called tech support for clarification on a small englander a few years ago. They said the stove was able to get hotter with double wall pipe so the clearances on the stove needed increased.

We called tech support for clarification on a small englander a few years ago. They said the stove was able to get hotter with double wall pipe so the clearances on the stove needed increased.

That's an odd position for them to take. The maximum safe stove temp is different depending on the type of stove pipe installed?

That's an odd position for them to take. The maximum safe stove temp is different depending on the type of stove pipe installed?
It’s not that the safe stove temp changes, it would still be safe. In testing the wall was able to get hotter with the double wall, so they simply move it out till it’s considered safe. Keep in mind that it’s tested under worst case senerios, not the kind of temps you will see unless there’s a complete stove failure.

It’s not that the safe stove temp changes, it would still be safe. In testing the wall was able to get hotter with the double wall, so they simply move it out till it’s considered safe. Keep in mind that it’s tested under worst case senerios, not the kind of temps you will see unless there’s a complete stove failure.

Hm. Interesting, I would have never guessed double wall would get hotter than single wall. Learn something new every day I guess. My stove allows reduced clearances with double wall. Guess all manufacturers have their different ideas.

Hm. Interesting, I would have never guessed double wall would get hotter than single wall. Learn something new every day I guess. My stove allows reduced clearances with double wall. Guess all manufacturers have their different ideas.
Not the pipe, the stove itself can get hotter. Englander is the only company I’ve seen that this is the case with. Not sure why.

Not the pipe, the stove itself can get hotter. Englander is the only company I’ve seen that this is the case with. Not sure why.

I bet I could get that sucker just as hot with single wall. I'm up for the challenge if anyone would like to donate a stove for testing...