Stove Pipe Clearance - Wall with steel studs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre Morneault

Oct 25, 2012
Nice! A whole forum room dedicated to wood stoves... sounds like my kind of place!!

I’m currently finishing the basement walls behind my wood stove which is installed in corner. Currently there is only the concrete foundation behind the stove and I’m planning to build a wall out of 2x2 1/2 steel studs, Durock cement board and brick veneers. I’m not planning to leave a 1” air space behind that wall as the stove is far enough and more than meets the combustible wall clearance.

I'm seeking input about the stove pipe clearance. My stove pipe exits horizontally through the concrete wall. There is no combustible material within 20” of the stove pipe. The wall will be framed using 2x2 1/2 steel studs spaced 16” oc, which means that it will only leave a gap (air space) of 6" on each side between the steel studs and the pipe.
I’m worried that these two steel studs might transfer some of the stove pipe heat all the way to the ceiling (first floor joist). I might be over thinking it but anyways, it doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion from you guys.
What do you guys think? Other suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply!

The wood stove was installed years ago prior to me taking ownership. There's no wall thimble. Just a whole thru the concrete into the massonery chimney. The chimney is lined with rigid stainless steel pipes. When I bought the house, a single wall pipe was passing thru that wall, which I felt wasn't secure. I have since change it to an insulated pipe.

Wait let me rectify that, there is a stainless steal liner whithin the concrete hole. I guess it's technically a thimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.