Stove Pipe Connection - Lange 6302K

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

milleph

Oct 26, 2021
Stroudsburg, PA 18360
I'm in the process of rebuilding/cementing my Lange 6302K. The stove pipe goes directly into a brick chimney. I removed the trim collar to find it held in place by crumbling cement (1st pic). I took all of that out.

Question is (2nd pic) what is the correct way to house a 5" (external) stove pipe inside a 6" (internal) clay pipe?

PXL_20211108_142620747.jpg PXL_20211108_165939717.jpg

I'm in the process of rebuilding/cementing my Lange 6302K. The stove pipe goes directly into a brick chimney. I removed the trim collar to find it held in place by crumbling cement (1st pic). I took all of that out.

Question is (2nd pic) what is the correct way to house a 5" (external) stove pipe inside a 6" (internal) clay pipe?

View attachment 285020 View attachment 285021
The first thing to do it make sure the wall passthrough is safe. That means 12" of solid masonry between the pipe and any combustible material. It doesn't look like you have that.

It's a vertical chimney stack. The pipe from inside the house into the chimney is over 12". Here's a side view from outside where you can see both the chimney and the stove..

View attachment 285065
Ok but to the left of the crock there is not 12" of masonry between the crock and that wood. Is the chimney the full width of the brick inside? Is there framing between the inside brick and the chimney?

No chimney is not the full width of the brick inside. Exterior chimney width is 16.5" and looking at the brick inside it is positioned as follows...

5" on left, 16.5" width, 19" on right

Also, there's no framing between the chimney and inside brick

No chimney is not the full width of the brick inside. Exterior chimney width is 16.5" and looking at the brick inside it is positioned as follows...

5" on left, 16.5" width, 19" on right

Also, there's no framing between the chimney and inside brick
Ok on the outside what is to the left and right of the 16.5" chimney?