stove pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

Hearth Supporter
May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
When joining (connecting) your stove pipe' besides the three screws that it states do you also use any sealer around the pipe when making a connection.

This is black stove pipe 24 guage.

If so what do you use????

Nothin'. Make sure the crimped ends all point down toward the stove, shove 'em together nice & tight, and put in 3 or 4 screws per joint. No need to seal...they're not gonna be perfectly airtight, but if your installation is operating correctly, the only leakage will be air into the pipe, not smoke out of it. Rick

We always used rutland black furnace cement....being as we were getting paid for the jobs (pros).....by sealing the cracks in the pipe, it would generally increase the draft on the appliance. The 22ga or double wall interior pipe does not need this. Rick is right that they should not leak in any case - a good draft will pull air INTO any cracks in the pipe. Still, we liked to seal 'em because it may have prevented callbacks....although it makes it a bit more of a pain to take them apart.

I don't think that code nor manuals require furnace cement.

That's some good gouge, Web. I'm going to rethink my "nothin'" response. In my workshop installation, everything fit together quite nicely and tight except for just a couple of places where the gaps seem large enough to be sucking air...not all the way around the joint, but where something got a bit out of round when it was screwed together. I have a little tub of Rutland in a cabinet that I've never opened (the tub, not the cabinet). If I have no trouble (none anticipated) cleaning the stovepipe/chimney without disassembly...I'll know tomorrow...I think I might go ahead and smear a little cement into those couple of areas that might be drawing more air into my flue than I want them to. Thanks! Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.