Stove pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonOfSunderland

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Western Mass
I'm planning on installing a wood stove in my basement and I can't find this particular scenario in any installation literature. I have a masonry chimney behind an interior concrete wall (the house and basement were added on to). There's a clay thimble going through the concrete wall to the chimney flue. The clay thimble is 8" ID and an 8" to 6" reducer fits nice and snug with the lip on the reducer keeping it flush against the wall. All literature says to extend stovepipe into the inside edge of the flue, but this always assumes there is nothing but cut away chimney/brick/wall that smoke can't safely pass through, whereas I have a clay thimble that I would think the smoke could safely pass through. If usable, do I need to cement the reducer into the wall?

Attachments

• Chimney.JPG
    Chimney.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 242
Status
Not open for further replies.