Stove Pipe Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cre73

Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Central Illinois
I currently use single wall stove pipe that has the seam, with this I use two adjustable 90 degree elbows in different spots. The elbows are not used as a 90 they are used to supply an offset from the wall and line up with the ceiling support box. My question is will the adjustable elbows work with single wall pipe such as "durablack" from Duravent? Their elbows are not ajustable and for my setup I have to have the jogs. Will two forty fives supply the same amount of offset as an ajustable elbow? Thank you.

Generally speaking. single-wall stove (connector) pipe is universal & different brands
can be intermixed. If you're using the snap seam stuff, it's 24 gage & is less expensive
& less durable than the 22 gage welded seam pipe.
There ARE manufacturers of 22 gage adjustable 90s - Heat Fab is what we use...
As far as using the 45 degree offsets, if you've got a 6" system, your offset will be 3"
with back-to-back 45s & you may not get the EXACT distance you need...
If the required offset is less, you'll have to use adjustables. If it's more, you gotta
to some cipherin & cuttin...

If it were me I'd be trying to use the 2, 45's instead of the 2, 90's since all you need is a jog. The fewer the horizontal sections the better in terms of draft.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.