Stove pipe shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blel

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Southeast CT
Does anyone have opinion on using a stove pipe shield to reduce pipe clearance of 18" from back wall to in my case w/ Eng 13 the stove min of 10"? It seems they wouldn't look too bad when installed on the vert pipe.

I used one on the single wall in my workshop, because I found that the chimney had been installed 18" from the drywall to the centerline of the chimney, instead of the the outside of the pipe...so the pipe wall actually was going to be 15" from the wall instead of the required 18", and I didn't feel like switching to double wall stovepipe. I'll attach a pic. Rick

Attachments

• shopstove.jpg
    shopstove.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,816
I had them on the 602 with single wall. They worked well. The wall and windows behind the pipe stayed cool.

Can a stove pipe shield be used on the horizontal section of pipe in a thru wall install? (to make the horiz section closer to the ceiling than 18')

I think so, but I'm not an authority. Rick

Anyone know of a good place to order/purchase sections of heat shield?

KWillets said:
The Imperial one says it's for vertical use only.

Well, there ya have it. Makes sense, too, as the way the shield works is to create a natural circulation between the stovepipe and the shield to draw heat up and away. Installed along the top of a horizontal run it would be nearly as effective. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.