Stove pipe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

54d18

Mar 17, 2014
Northern Ontario, Canada
I have double wall pipe from the stove to the Selkirk at the ceiling, I understand that a magnetic thermometer would not be accurate, but what if I put a self tapping screw through the hole in the center so the heat could radiate out to give a more accurate reading?

Thanks for any comments...

T

Sooo? Your going make a screw hole?

Why not just install a probe style temp gauge?

Reactions: Diabel
The thermometer has about a 1/4" hole in the center of the magnet already, I just figured that since a probe type requires a hole anyway, I could get a better measurement with a screw into the pipe, and not have to purchase a new thermometer.

You need a probe type that extends into the flue area. A surface thermometer reads about half the actual flue gas temperature on single wall pipe. Far lower on double wall. Trying to add a little heat from a screw extending into flue is a guess, compared to the probe giving actual flue gas temp. A good one will have a bushing you insert in the outer pipe to prevent false reading from contact with outer pipe wall. Far more accurate than a surface thermometer on single wall pipe guessing the internal temp as well.

ProbeDiagram.png

Spring for the probe thermometer. That is going to be what you "drive" your stove with - it's got to be an accurate temperature so that you can start to close the stove down at the right time to run it in the sweet spot - not too hot, not too cold.

Reactions: firefighterjake
You need a probe type that extends into the flue area. A surface thermometer reads about half the actual flue gas temperature on single wall pipe. Far lower on double wall. Trying to add a little heat from a screw extending into flue is a guess, compared to the probe giving actual flue gas temp. A good one will have a bushing you insert in the outer pipe to prevent false reading from contact with outer pipe wall. Far more accurate than a surface thermometer on single wall pipe guessing the internal temp as well.

View attachment 240562
Would this probe type be a better choice?
Are probe thermometers with coils to the outside slow to react, inaccurate and unable to calibrate?
I do have the attached probe which is accurate and adjustable. I don't have one with an external coil, but am going by tests and conclusions here on hearth.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-11_7-21-43.png
    upload_2019-2-11_7-21-43.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 79
Better for single wall so the pipe doesn't radiate heat affecting the bimetallic spring.
Without the magnet found on stove pipe thermometers, I would drill the hole angled downward slightly to avoid accidental calibration falling 4 or 5 feet to the ground.