Stove pipe thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indy Dave

Oct 16, 2018
Marion
I have used a simple magnetic stove pipe thermometer for a couple years and noticed a probe type at the store.
I've wanted one for some time and had the extra money so, bought and installed.
I've read that the internal pipe temp, will normally be around twice as hot as an exterior reading but, I must say I was kind of shocked.
I placed the magnetic close to the probe and the probe was showing me to be on the verge of the over fire zone while the magnetic was still 50 degrees below the optimal range!
That seems kind of dangerous to me?I'm certain the probe is more accurate and i would be WELL into the over fire range before the magnetic showed me in the optimum range!

Is this on a single-wall or double-wall stove pipe? What are the actual temperature readings?

I have used a simple magnetic stove pipe thermometer for a couple years and noticed a probe type at the store.
I've wanted one for some time and had the extra money so, bought and installed.
I've read that the internal pipe temp, will normally be around twice as hot as an exterior reading but, I must say I was kind of shocked.
I placed the magnetic close to the probe and the probe was showing me to be on the verge of the over fire zone while the magnetic was still 50 degrees below the optimal range!
That seems kind of dangerous to me?I'm certain the probe is more accurate and i would be WELL into the over fire range before the magnetic showed me in the optimum range!
Is this on single or double wall pipe

Is this on a single-wall or double-wall stove pipe? What are the actual temperature readings?
These are single wall readings.
The probe shows 550 to be last temp before going into the danger zone.
The magnetic is reading 230, 250 being the start of the optimum burn range.

These are single wall readings.
The probe shows 550 to be last temp before going into the danger zone.
The magnetic is reading 230, 250 being the start of the optimum burn range.
A probe thermometer is designed for use on double wall stove pipe only. It will give false readings on single-wall pipe and read too high.

A probe thermometer is designed for use on double wall stove pipe only. It will give false readings on single-wall pipe and read too high.
Wow, I had no idea!
That makes me feel better, I didn't event have a big fire going and it was pushing into the red on the probe.
Not trying get TOO technical but, can you tell me why the probe gives a false reading on single wall? Is it because the single wall radiates more heat and the probe is picking that up as well as the internal flue temp?
Thanks for explanation!

Correct me if i am wrong but i dont think 550 is right for overfire with a probe thermometer.

Correct me if i am wrong but i dont think 550 is right for overfire with a probe thermometer.

You're not wrong . . . mine shows overfiring beginning at 900 degrees.

Sorry if I seemed to imply over firing at 550. Mine shows 550 being the last temp before going into the red, which shows to be too hot.

Attachments

• 20181018_071131.jpg
    20181018_071131.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 108
Sorry if I seemed to imply over firing at 550. Mine shows 550 being the last temp before going into the red, which shows to be too hot.
That isnt right i have never seen one that low

Is it because the single wall radiates more heat and the probe is picking that up as well as the internal flue temp?
Yes, a probe thermometer is calibrated taking into account the extra shielding provided by the outer layer of the double-wall pipe.

On start up or with a fresh load of wood the temp may go to 600+. That is when the air should be closed down. Condar makes two probe thermometers. One has a scale that is this conservative. The other has a higher range. Neither is truly right as the high temp (red zone) depends on the stage of the burn and the stove itself. Some run with hot flue temps, others run on the cool side. Regardless, these are made for double-wall stove pipe only.
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 10.09.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 10.09.30 AM.png

On start up or with a fresh load of wood the temp may go to 600+. That is when the air should be closed down. Condar makes two probe thermometers. One has a scale that is this conservative. The other has a higher range. Neither is truly right as the high temp (red zone) depends on the stage of the burn and the stove itself. Some run with hot flue temps, others run on the cool side. Regardless, these are made for double-wall stove pipe only.
View attachment 231180 View attachment 231186
Looks like they both red line same temps. Top pic is Celsius.

I’m actually in the market for a probe themo for my stovepipe. Is there any particular brand people prefer?

View attachment 231180 View attachment 231186
Yes, a probe thermometer is calibrated taking into account the extra shielding provided by the outer layer of the double-wall pipe.