Stove Pipe through Roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whtoak

May 5, 2020
Virginia
I will be putting my new wood stove in after my house is built. Currently looking at the end of October to early November. I have a company who will install the stove for me (have not got a price yet). They will be running the pipe though the ceiling, into the attic space and then through the roof. I trust this guy and he has done work for my Mom. My stove will be in the middle of the house so I have to go through the roof.

I contacted another company also to get a quote just to check. After talking with the guy he did not want to do the job. He stated that he was not big on putting a hole in the roof and said it will eventually leak and cause issues. The company I am comfortable with never mentioned to me that this would be a huge concern. They told me they do this type of installation all the time.

Am I making mistake putting a stovepipe through my roof near the middle of the house? This guy has started making me think this might not be a good idea. I do know that folks put pipes through roofs all the time. As long as the job is done properly, leaking should not be an issue, right?? I really want a wood stove and I want in the middle of my house.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, put it through the roof. It is no more likely to leak that any of the other roofing penetrations. The same method, experience, and skill applies.

Reactions: Sailrmike
I will be putting my new wood stove in after my house is built. Currently looking at the end of October to early November. I have a company who will install the stove for me (have not got a price yet). They will be running the pipe though the ceiling, into the attic space and then through the roof. I trust this guy and he has done work for my Mom. My stove will be in the middle of the house so I have to go through the roof.

I contacted another company also to get a quote just to check. After talking with the guy he did not want to do the job. He stated that he was not big on putting a hole in the roof and said it will eventually leak and cause issues. The company I am comfortable with never mentioned to me that this would be a huge concern. They told me they do this type of installation all the time.

Am I making mistake putting a stovepipe through my roof near the middle of the house? This guy has started making me think this might not be a good idea. I do know that folks put pipes through roofs all the time. As long as the job is done properly, leaking should not be an issue, right?? I really want a wood stove and I want in the middle of my house.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If done right with the right components it will not leak

Reactions: Gearhead660
Unless you already know reputable people, or know people who have first hand experience with already well known reputable people, then you ARE taking a huge leap of faith. Period! If someone can put you onto skilled people, with a highly regarded reputation, then your roof will be fine.

The most leak proof roof is one with no holes in it.

The best zone heat is a home with a zone heater (stove) in the middle of the floor plan.

Looks to me like there’s a compromise somewhere...right in the middle...where it should be. LOL!

You really don't need much of any real skill to install a prefab chimney flashing on new construction. Anyone with basic carpentry skills and an understanding that water runs down hill should be able to do it leak free. Even if it's going on a metal roof it isn't very hard.

You really don't need much of any real skill to install a prefab chimney flashing on new construction. Anyone with basic carpentry skills and an understanding that water runs down hill should be able to do it leak free. Even if it's going on a metal roof it isn't very hard.
I think that is an underestimation of the skills required. You grew up doing this. We have seen too many installers and installations that showed that basic knowledge was not enough. If one is patient and studies well before and measures well while installing then the odds of a successful outcome are greater. Even then, there are small tricks that make the installation go better. For example, when framing out the 2x4 braces for the ceiling support box, use screws instead of pounding nails. This will greatly reduce the chances of cracking the sheetrock ceiling.

I think that is an underestimation of the skills required. You grew up doing this. We have seen too many installers and installations that showed that basic knowledge was not enough. If one is patient and studies well before and measures well while installing then the odds of a successful outcome are greater. Even then, there are small tricks that make the installation go better. For example, when framing out the 2x4 braces for the ceiling support box, use screws instead of pounding nails. This will greatly reduce the chances of cracking the sheetrock ceiling.
You are probably right there. I do often tend to underestimate skills required. To me it is all second nature. I havnt been doing this my whole life. But you are right I did grow up helping on weekends and Summers.

Even on this forum there is frequent discussion on the right way to roof around a metal chimney. Lots of room for professional judgment and many ways to do it "right".

But really, it's like roofing around the DWV stack. If the hired help can do that, they can do a metal chimney. Inspect the area from below after the first big rain.

The big question is whether you want the chimney guy roofing around the flashing or if you want the roofer to do it. I can see benefits to both.

I have a Moro 2b standard stove in the attic bedrooms of my 200 year old cape, attached to a metal bestos chimney. Being concerned about Safety I paid a fair amount of money having a long established business install the whole business. With that being said it leaked a few months after installation. They came back once and calked some more which did not help. I let them know and they never returned my calls.
I found what was leaking was the top section of metal bestos, which had a seam running down the length of it that was letting water in. I ran a bead of high temp calk among the length and have not had a problem in 7 years.