Stove pipe to thimble connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

leopinetree

Aug 7, 2018
Rhode Island
Hi guys,

I am ready to start running my jotul firelight for good but I did notice what I think is a strange connection on my stove (it was here when we bought the house...).

The stove sits down in the basement with a stone base and brick around it, the stove pipe goes into the wall where it meets the thimble. I think something is missing. Here is why: the clay thimble sits right at the inside edge of the brick and when the stove pipe is connected, the pipe just kinda sits there, the only thing going in the wall in the inch or so on the piece past the collar. There is no coupler, no cement, nothing. If I disconnect the pipe from the back of the stove I can just pull it straight from the wall. This can't be right, can it?

Please see the pictures.

I burned a very small load yesterday and got decent draft and I think I was able to get the cat going; the basement did get a little smokey but that was my fault for cracking the door open without opening the damper)

The chimney has been inspected and it got a clean bill of health, I just need to make sure this one connection is safe.

I appreciate any input you could give me on this one.

Thanks,

Leo

' IMG_7207.JPG IMG_7206 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s certainly not ideal, but unfortunately pretty common. We attach a piece of stainless steel to the elbow that passes through the thimble. Then if the horizontal piece of stainless is sloppy, we wrap a piece of gasket around it to seal it up as good as possible.

It’s certainly not ideal, but unfortunately pretty common. We attach a piece of stainless steel to the elbow that passes through the thimble. Then if the horizontal piece of stainless is sloppy, we wrap a piece of gasket around it to seal it up as good as possible.

I might go that route for peace of mind. Thanks!