Stove pipe too close to wall? Options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weaselchew

Dec 3, 2012
My basement utility room originally had an oil furnace and oil water heater; both have since been replaced with a geothermal heat pump and hybrid water heater so the chimney is now unused. I'd like to install a wood stove in my basement however I am a bit concerned with the proximity of the stove pipe to the one wall. I've attached a picture showing the stove pipe tee... it's only about 6.5-7" away from the wall. I've looked around a bit, and it seems like stove pipe should have at least 18" clearance? I'm surprised the builder would put it so close! This shouldn't be galvanized pipe either, should it?

Above the single wall stove pipe (and the sheet metal plate) is double wall HT listed chimney pipe all the way through the house and attic, so I assume that portion is OK. I guess a good option would be to replace the single wall connector & tee with an angled piece of HT chimney to bring it further away from the wall? Are HT connections fairly standard or would I need to track down the exact manufacturer to find an angled piece that'd fit the existing HT pipe? Are there any heat shield options to reduce the clearance far enough?

IMG_20160122_191113.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, it should not be galvanized for a wood stove. Double-wall connector pipe requires 6" clearance from the side wall.

I would inspect or have inspected the whole flue system to see what other corner cutting was done. For example, there's supposed to be a ceiling support box there. This serves to support the chimney pipe, maintain required 2" clearances, establish a firebreak and it projects far enough into the room to keep the stove pipe safe. I see none of this here. Follow the chimney pipe up through the house to be sure there is a fire break at the next floor, clearances are maintained, proper class A pipe is used, insulation shield in the attic, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.