stove pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpyle

Hearth Supporter
Aug 24, 2009
MA
Hello, all. I'm new to this informative site, and joined up to ask this question. I am a long-time user and lover of wood stoves, and have previously owned a Dutchwest catalytic and a Harmon Oakwood amoung others. I have just purchased a new large Dutchwest non-catalytic which will be in my living room and someone gave me some interesting advice on installing the new stove pipe. On every other stove I have owned (all vented at top), I have simply run up to a 90-degree elbow, then straight into the chimney thimble. What I was recently told was, that I should run up to a "T" which would be blocked on one end, then run back to the chimney. My "advisor" claimed that this configuration would provide an optimum draft and also allow for easier cleaning by removing the plug on the outward-facing end of the T. The easier pipe clean-out part makes sense, but has anyone ever heard that a T would make for a better draft than an elbow? Thanks!

it is easier to clean, ain't gonna be much different than an elbow for draft

Status
Not open for further replies.