Stove placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elevatn

Sep 29, 2008
WV
www.hikesite.com
I am getting ready to install the pellet stove that I just purchased. It is the Summers Heat 55-SHP10 which heats 1500 sqft. My house is one story 1400 sqft, mostly square minus one corner that has a deck built on. Two of the rooms I never go into, so I will actually be heating around 800-900 sqft.

My question is about location of the stove and how important it is to have it centrally located. Aesthetically (inside and outside) I am leaning towards placing the stove in a corner of my living room which is relatively large and opens directly (open wall, not a door) into the dining room/rest of the house. Either corner I choose will be at the opposite end of the room where the living room connects to the other rooms in the house. The stove will be facing/blowing towards the opening to the other rooms and I have ceilling fans in almost every room including the living room. If I place the stove at the other end of the room it will be centralized, but doesn't seem to work aesthetically. The vent pipe will also come out into the deck area/entrance of the house. If placed in the back of the room, the vent pipe will be on the unseen back side of the house.

So, what should be more important, not just to me, but for future potential buyers of my house. Having a stove placed in the house where it fits better in the room/area, or having it placed centrally where it doesn't look as good and exposes the vent pipe to the main entrance? With a living area that small does it matter that much? Any other placement recommendations based on that floorplan? Right now I'm heavily leaning towards the back corner of the living room.

I appreciate any opinions.

*See attachment for floorplan*

Attachments

• sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 298
I have a similar setup with the same stove, and mine is placed at one end of the house in my kitchen. I think having it in the living room would be too noisy in my opinion, but many people don't mind. With this setup my house is kept in the low 70's all winter long while the stove is generally on setting 3 for pellets and 5 for blower. Temps don't dip below 30 for long here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.