Stove prices going up ,too?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
It is true.....excrement rolls downhill. I was @ the local stove shop the other day, and heard the owner speaking to a customer about their costs. He 'predicted' that stove prices will soon be rising due to the skyrocketing oil prices. The prices for all goods rise when oil goes up, but I'm sure glad that that I have already gotten my new insert, and am re-furbishing my DW 2461 Large cat for a rainy day. With $5 a gallon gas and heating oil a virtual certainty, I can envision stove prices (and firewood) going thru the roof as well. As we enter the traditional 'slow season' for stove sales, I wonder if prices are only going to go up instead of down?

Oil goes up, steel goes up transportation costs go up, demand for wood stoves go up. Its going to happen. I had a bunch of wood and pellet stoves posted on Craigslist at end of the season prices. As soon as oil hit 100 bucks a barrell and my phone started ringing off the hook..I pulled the ad down. Pellet prices should go up. Coal prices already went up $12 a ton at my cost which means $15 a ton on retail. Firewood will go up as well.

Yep as other fuel prices go up, and as was stated transportation of all goods, add in the cost of gas, then add to that the cost of food prices going up, I do believe the practice of wood burning for heat will rise. Add it all together and not only will the price of stoves, but so will the cost of cord wood rise.

wood-fan-atic said:
It is true.....excrement rolls downhill. I was @ the local stove shop the other day, and heard the owner speaking to a customer about their costs. He 'predicted' that stove prices will soon be rising due to the skyrocketing oil prices. The prices for all goods rise when oil goes up, but I'm sure glad that that I have already gotten my new insert, and am re-furbishing my DW 2461 Large cat for a rainy day. With $5 a gallon gas and heating oil a virtual certainty, I can envision stove prices (and firewood) going thru the roof as well. As we enter the traditional 'slow season' for stove sales, I wonder if prices are only going to go up instead of down?

My understanding is that this is a stove shop high-pressure sales tactic, and it's an inidcator that you should shop elsewhere.

I got a similar line of crap from a stove shop in Naugatuck, CT (Blazing Hot Stoves) when I challenged the owner as to why his quote on a Jotul 550 was $100 higher than that provided by his wife the previous weekend. He attributed the differential to 'the rising price of steel.' Total crap, and it spurred me to shop around.

I deal exclusively with a stove shop in Southington CT now. I'm unsure of the dealer's status in Naugatuck - the name of the business appears to have changed since then. Regardless, I stear clear of that particular shop now - even though I drive past it routinely.

Some of these stove shop type individuals are bad news - particularly when they cry about their costs when trying to make a sale.

The same thought definitely crossed my mind at the time,too. It turns out the guy he was speaking to was not buying a stove, but only there to pick up a part he had ordered.....so perhaps he was speaking in terms of the near future,and not pressing a sale. Who knows? But one thing IS for sure----with oil skyrocketing,more folks will be buying stoves ,burning wood, and scrounging will be that much harder!! :long:

wood-fan-atic said:
The same thought definitely crossed my mind at the time,too. It turns out the guy he was speaking to was not buying a stove, but only there to pick up a part he had ordered.....so perhaps he was speaking in terms of the near future,and not pressing a sale. Who knows? But one thing IS for sure----with oil skyrocketing,more folks will be buying stoves ,burning wood, and scrounging will be that much harder!! :long:

Fair enough.

My concern with increasing oil prices creating new burners is that, at some point, the population density here in the 'burbs is going to bring serious regulation / restriction to the practice. Sort of like what they did to wood fired boilers here in CT, although more draconian.

I can already identify one place locally where there is a concentration of burners on the Bethany/Beacon Falls CT town line that create so much wood smoke haze that it's only a matter of time before the complaints result in more stringent permitting practices in each town. Not that it would be a bad thing, I'd just prefer to see it be done logically instead of as a knee-jerk response to a vocal non-burner.

I think it's only a matter of time, and it makes me glad I probably hit my payback mark through oil savings on my Jotul this winter. Took me three seasons and a bunch of sweat, but it can be done.

I can already identify one place locally where there is a concentration of burners on the Bethany/Beacon Falls CT town line that create so much wood smoke haze that it's only a matter of time before the complaints result in more stringent permitting practices in each town. Not that it would be a bad thing, I'd just prefer to see it be done logically instead of as a knee-jerk response to a vocal non-burner.

-------------------------

Are these people all burning smoke dragons? Myself, and most people that I know that burn newer EPA stoves get about 10 minutes of light smoke at the beginning of each burn cycle -- otherwise there is NO smoke pollution at all!

nelraq said:

-------------------------

Are these people all burning smoke dragons? Myself, and most people that I know that burn newer EPA stoves get about 10 minutes of light smoke at the beginning of each burn cycle -- otherwise there is NO smoke pollution at all!

Haven't been in the homes to eyeball the equipment in question, so I can't say.

But it's academic for purposes of the practice receiving greater attention going forward. Persistent haze, whether the result of obsolete equipment, improper use of up-to-date equipment, or a high of a density of properly operated up-to-date equipment will create pressure to regulate the practice. In CT, and other densely populated places, it's only a matter of time.

Provided it's done well, it's also the right answer in my view - it makes very little sense to clean up automotive and industrial emissions but allow those gains to be undone by wood burning.

Wood prices will be very zonal. I doubt seriously local wood will change around here. Even if gas gets to 5 bucks. My neighbor sells the nicest wood, split all the sames size and stacked in exactly a cord dimension 100% ash and he had trouble selling it all this yr for 130.00 a cord. The demand just isn't all that great. On the east coast he probably could have gotten twice that but this is midwest and things are alot cheaper here.

wkpoor said:
Wood prices will be very zonal. I doubt seriously local wood will change around here. Even if gas gets to 5 bucks. My neighbor sells the nicest wood, split all the sames size and stacked in exactly a cord dimension 100% ash and he had trouble selling it all this yr for 130.00 a cord. The demand just isn't all that great. On the east coast he probably could have gotten twice that but this is midwest and things are alot cheaper here.

I have noticed around here there are A LOT of wood sellers though, so perhaps too much competition. $130 is good for a true full cord of good hardwood but there are too many others selling for less - problem is there stuff is usually crap and not a full cord but buyers are either unaware or just too cheap to admit it.

If I could get hardwood for even near a cord here for $130 I would have my chainsaws embedded in acrylic as trophies and never whack another tree.

Biff_CT2 said:
wood-fan-atic said:

My understanding is that this is a stove shop high-pressure sales tactic, and it's an inidcator that you should shop elsewhere.

I got a similar line of crap from a stove shop in Naugatuck, CT (Blazing Hot Stoves) when I challenged the owner as to why his quote on a Jotul 550 was $100 higher than that provided by his wife the previous weekend. He attributed the differential to 'the rising price of steel.' Total crap, and it spurred me to shop around.

I deal exclusively with a stove shop in Southington CT now. I'm unsure of the dealer's status in Naugatuck - the name of the business appears to have changed since then. Regardless, I stear clear of that particular shop now - even though I drive past it routinely.

Some of these stove shop type individuals are bad news - particularly when they cry about their costs when trying to make a sale.

I have been telling folks for a month that they should expect a price increase for 2011, where prices have been static for the most part the last couple of years. Some will believe me. Some will think I am lying, whining and using high pressure sales tactics. Some will buy now. Some will wait. Can't please everyone. If someone is dense enough to not see costs are on the rise, I probably wont want to deal with them after the sale anyhow.

Shipping costs are going to go up if oil stays high. Add to this the falling value of the dollar and rising prices are guaranteed.

The rising oil prices will be somewhat offset by the inevitable reduced economic growth so the prices might not go up as much as you'd expect. Proabably you will see more consolidation and fewer manufacturers because there won't be enough buyers to sustain the existing volume. That is, until hyperinflation takes off and then it becomes junk money and bigger problems to worry about. All that cut and dried wood won't be much good unless you have embraced the 2nd amendment to protect it :)

Franks said:
Biff_CT2 said:
wood-fan-atic said:

I have been telling folks for a month that they should expect a price increase for 2011, where prices have been static for the most part the last couple of years. Some will believe me. Some will think I am lying, whining and using high pressure sales tactics. Some will buy now. Some will wait. Can't please everyone. If someone is dense enough to not see costs are on the rise, I probably wont want to deal with them after the sale anyhow.

I always advise folks to shop around and not be quick on the trigger, dense or otherwise.

My experience during the purchase of my Jotul is that the guys predicting impending price rises were BS artists. But hey, maybe you're right. But then again, maybe you're not.

Regardless, shopping around is the right answer.

I am more concerned about the price of lettuce and tomatoes than I am about the price of steel.

kallsop said:
The rising oil prices will be somewhat offset by the inevitable reduced economic growth so the prices might not go up as much as you'd expect. Proabably you will see more consolidation and fewer manufacturers because there won't be enough buyers to sustain the existing volume. That is, until hyperinflation takes off and then it becomes junk money and bigger problems to worry about. All that cut and dried wood won't be much good unless you have embraced the 2nd amendment to protect it :)

Guess all those landmines I started stocking up on will come in handy!
Good luck getting to my Woodpile! :)

I always advise folks to shop around and not be quick on the trigger, dense or otherwise.

My experience during the purchase of my Jotul is that the guys predicting impending price rises were BS artists. But hey, maybe you're right. But then again, maybe you're not.

Regardless, shopping around is the right answer.[/quote]

You'd also be dense not to shop around. My point to my customers is not to put it off now that winter is almost over and wait till next fall. Same with wood pellets. I hardly sell any here, maybe 300 tons a year. Folks ask me if they should stock up on next winters pellets now. I tell em yes. Same thing, the writing is on the wall in plain engrish. Alternative heat items will be higher this year than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.