Stove Project and Pipe / liner help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

12guns

Sep 29, 2012
I have what is now a free standing stove that will go in front of our masonry fireplace. Chimney is unlined and wide open. 6” diameter should draw properly based on the stove size, but it does have an 8” collar.
So…I know stainless flex may be the best long term option, but we’re not 100% how this will heat. If we will like it, or if it will draw properly. Would I be stupid to use cheap black stove pipe to try this setup out?
One room rock / concrete cabin. I’ll find more pics. How would you plumb this up if it were you?

41914D83-4DB2-42CA-9AB4-AA1EA1F9FA78.jpeg 271C84DC-4D7E-4AF1-995D-D0442D0A4BDB.jpeg CE939428-7C82-47A1-9BE6-B08FC8C3F6F2.jpeg 1AA8839B-434C-4F99-9A26-80F9760B8AED.jpeg E63F7306-E092-41A3-B87D-1E2F2408E819.jpeg D59166FF-35E0-4C81-9757-0AA69B3C7A94.jpeg 61474AAE-1941-45A6-A8B9-83C02A73FCFE.jpeg 9C868C3F-196F-43B6-8CF8-6CDB564630F1.jpeg

Lots of errors here. The stove without a door will not heat any better than the fireplace. It should not be choked down to 6". It looks like it's missing the firebricks too. What else is wrong with it? Regular black stovepipe can not and must not be used as a liner. It has to be stainless steel and in this case it must be a full liner. Time for a full stop.

It makes sense to put a full 6" liner and look for a stove or insert with a 6" flue collar that fits in the fireplace. Then, if the wood is fully seasoned, it should provide good to great heat, depending on the stove. The stone walls are going to suck out a lot of heat, so a serious heater will be needed.

Fire bricks are good, just need a couple replaced. Door with new seals is being restored. Sorry, should have included that info. Yes, the rocks suck up ALOT of heat. Good news is this is only a 300 square foot cabin. Previous owner had an 8” reducer down to 6”, and from what I’m seeing online, that should draw fine for this stove? So, absolutely no black pipe for liner, I’ll go with stainless and might as well do flex to get around the smoke shelf. Thanks for the info. I don’t want an insert. Plan to have this as a free standing stove only inside the fireplace a few inches. Free standing pulled out will give more heat to the room instead of the rocks and chimney.

398E7767-BCE9-43FA-BAD2-89B3B75A34A0.jpeg

Those Kodiak work best on 7" without question. Sometimes you can get away with 6" sometimes you can't. And there is no way you will know untill you run a full liner. An insert is going to have a convective jacket to get heat out of the firebox

Last edited:
Those Kodiak work best on 7" without question. Sometimes you can get away with 6" sometimes you can't. And there is no way you will know untill you run a full liner. An insert is going to have a convective jacket to get heat out of the firebox
8” too big? The collar on the stove is 8”, but 1:10 ratio seems to be the sweet spot to draft properly, which would be closer to 6” on this one. I’ll take a look at 7” and see what option’s are out there. Thank you, keep the advice coming!

8” too big? The collar on the stove is 8”, but 1:10 ratio seems to be the sweet spot to draft properly, which would be closer to 6” on this one. I’ll take a look at 7” and see what option’s are out there. Thank you, keep the advice coming!
No 8" is not to big but 7 helps keep a bit more heat in the stove. 1-10 is for open fireplaces and really has nothing to do with woodstoves. If you had more height 6" might work well. But your chimney doesn't look that high. 7" is a much safer bet.

Reactions: 12guns
I really don't understand why you went to the trouble of converting an insert into a freestanding just to use it in a fireplace where the convective jacket would be a benifit.

I really don't understand why you went to the trouble of converting an insert into a freestanding just to use it in a fireplace where the convective jacket would be a benifit.
Because I would be heating the rocks long before the living space. We had a wood stove in years ago that worked great sticking 3/4 out of the fireplace. Never should have taken it out! No electricity up there, so if I used a blower, I would have to convert to 12 volt or get a better solar set up.

No 8" is not to big but 7 helps keep a bit more heat in the stove. 1-10 is for open fireplaces and really has nothing to do with woodstoves. If you had more height 6" might work well. But your chimney doesn't look that high. 7" is a much safer bet.

If we go with 6”, we plan to extend over the top of the chimney 1.5’-2’. Still TBD. I agree about 7” if I can find it.

Because I would be heating the rocks long before the living space. We had a wood stove in years ago that worked great sticking 3/4 out of the fireplace. Never should have taken it out! No electricity up there, so if I used a blower, I would have to convert to 12 volt or get a better solar set up.
But you still will be if you had left the convective jacket on it would have reduced that greatly that is what it's designed for

But you still will be if you had left the convective jacket on it would have reduced that greatly that is what it's designed for
Yes, but with this as a free standing stove, it can pull much further out from inside the fireplace. You may be right, I don’t know which is best: free standing pulled most of the way out into the room, or insert with jacket stuffed back into the fireplace.

Ordering now! SS liner that I’ll transition to rigid pipe for the 1.5’ over the chimney. Still debating 6” vs 7”. Any other opinions before I pull the trigger? Thanks again for all the help. I realize using this as an insert might be ideal in most cases, but I really want this free standing sticking out further. So, fingers crossed that it pumps out the heat we want!

2E29FF01-BFC0-4987-AE84-2B9515AC0A22.png

Ordering now! SS liner that I’ll transition to rigid pipe for the 1.5’ over the chimney. Still debating 6” vs 7”. Any other opinions before I pull the trigger? Thanks again for all the help. I realize using this as an insert might be ideal in most cases, but I really want this free standing sticking out further. So, fingers crossed that it pumps out the heat we want!

View attachment 289279
I would not recommend light wall liner for an old stove like that

I would not recommend light wall liner for an old stove like that

What WOULD you recommend? I’m looking to order something pretty quick. This is also a hunting cabin with no electricity or running water, so it doesn’t need to be super high end

What WOULD you recommend? I’m looking to order something pretty quick. This is also a hunting cabin with no electricity or running water, so it doesn’t need to be super high end
If it's only going to be used occasionally light wall will probably last just fine. But I would still go with heavy wall

If it's only going to be used occasionally light wall will probably last just fine. But I would still go with heavy wall
It will only be used three or four times each year. I’ll look into heavier stuff too. Thanks again

My project is almost done! I ordered 15 feet of stainless flex smooth wall, 7 inch diameter. Looks like I have all the necessary hardware. Cleaned up and put a light coat of paint on the stove and will cure the paint this week when I have time to build a fire outside. Thanks again for all the tips and advice! I realize this is a little unorthodox by turning this into a freestanding stove, but it is what I wanted to do. The stove will be pulled 3/4 of the way out and will radiate much more heat than if I used an insert. Plus, I want to be able to cook on top of it as needed and would not have a flat spot to do so if it were inserted into the fireplace.

A540F6A5-139A-4DF0-B019-C1B4052BC20E.jpeg 9B3299E6-A2F7-476E-9E86-FF752FCB6177.jpeg