Stove Shop Auction w/lots of wood - Southern Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
Just came across this in the newspaper. Lots of wood up for auction. I wonder if you have to bid on all of the wood or if you could just bid on some of it. This is just down the street from me so I'll stop in there and see if I might be able to grab a couple of those pallets full of wood cheap. The wood in the pallets looks like it might be somewhat seasoned. Sad sign of the economy for sure.

http://www.keenanauction.com/auction.cgi?&i=2264

pretty sad but I'd definetly encouage you to go see what happens. I'm sure we'd all like to read a summary of what stuff went for. I'm sure folks will get some deals.

What are these sawhoese looking things in this pic?

Attachments

• t_img_1823.jpg
    t_img_1823.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 687
k9brain said:

Clarry portable pellet stoves. There's a link on the auction website that tells you all about them...

k9brain said:

I thought I saw something on the site about portable pellet stoves and thought that's what those might be. Never heard of a portable pellet stove though, guess it might come in handy for camping.

That's a cool little stove but don't know if I'd drag all those bags of pellets to a remote camp. Just sayin'.

k9brain said:
That's a cool little stove but don't know if I'd drag all those bags of pellets to a remote camp. Just sayin'.
2-3 Bags would last a weekend/ there are videos on Youtube of these also. they are pretty cool. No motors or blowers like Home Pellets stove. It all relies on Draft and Convective heat like a Woodstove. Packs up so 1 Man can carry it all at once...

Seen the Video like year ago. If your going Elk hunting, on Horseback, with limited supplies, and your in Montana..... Then you Need one.

How much are they selling for at the auction???

If I was local and had the time I would definitely look into possibly purchasing some of the wood . . . it may even be possible to pick up a few woodstoves or pellet stoves cheap and turn them over for a profit.

I stopped by where this auction was supposed to be today a little after it was set to start and there was nothing going on at all there. I called the auction company and found out that the auction had been cancelled due to bankruptcy proceedings. I looked around at the wood and a lot of it was pine. There was even some pallets of with pine and hardwood mixed. There is a good deal of hardwood there, some split, some rounds that look pretty old and a lot of nice tree length ash, oak and maple. I'm definitely going to try to contact the owners to see if they would sell some of the hardwood. Would be a good score if I can get it cheap.

I know people in some parts burn a lot of pine but around here very few people do. In fact, it's a common belief here that burning pine is what causes chimney fires. :bug: The only reason I can think of that they would be processing all that pine is to sell it as campfire wood as there are a lot of camping areas nearby by the ocean.

Oh No!!!! Pine starts chimney Fires!!!

Everyone I know says that. They are also gonna start cutting there wood in a week or 2. And they only burn Oak because it burns Good and Hot. Best hardwood out there. These people get by. Barely... Oak seasoning for a month or 2 would be great. If you like Creosote. Then add a little Pine. A wood that seasons faster and burns hotter, and Boom. Chimney Fire. It s Large belief everywhere there is an abundance of Hardwoods.

When you ask them what the people in (Fill in your North/North Western area here) do, because all they have is Pine?? That's when they look puzzled?? They never thought of that?

Anyways. Good luck in the auction. Pics if you get some cheap Logs. I'm gettin ready to trade a guy one of my small Husqvarna's for some Logs. We are still workin on a #. But he will deliver. Prob gonna be about 3-4 Cord for a Saw.

Lotsa good stuff there besides the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.