1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove shutting down?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Bryan', Oct 29, 2012.

1. Bryan'

Bryan' New Member

I'm new to this forum and I've been looking around for a while but haven't found any information pertaining to my problem. I have an old 1978 Shenandoah Heaters wood stove that came with the house that we just bought this past February. We used it for a couple months, and it was fine. The weather got warmer and we stopped using it. This year as I'm burning everything is fine, its cooking at 400/500 *F for about an hour, and eventually the air intake closes and the stove starts cooling down to about 200*F. It probably would kill the fire if I let it, but I just crack the door to get air in there and maintain the 400/500 *F temperature.

The adjustment for the intake is not too precise, I can get it to where it needs to be, where its maintaining a temp, but then the intake just closes, as if its a protection device to keep the stove from over-firing? Once it closes, it won't open until the stove cools down, normally overnight, and it repeats this process. I've taken it apart and looked at it, cleaned everything, and it just seems like its a protection device. I don't have any manual on this stove, but I didn't have this problem until just recently, this season. Anyone ever have any issues like this, am I doing something wrong? Is it time for a new wood stove? Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I'm going to move this thread over the the classic stoves forum, where perhaps someone with more experience with this older stove will have a better chance of seeing your problem.

Anyway to inspect the thermostat mechanism for this intake?

pen
  3. Bryan'

Bryan' New Member

I thought this was the Classic Stoves forum?

I think the thermostat mechanism is a piece of steel about three inches long, but its just connected to the air inlet control with linkage. But just looking at it, it functions fine, not binding or anything.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Is the flapper valve binding slightly? Or is there a magnet there that draws it shut when close?
  5. Bryan'

Bryan' New Member

Nothing seems to be binding; it all works well until it gets hot. I didn't notice anything magnetic either. I'll try a get a pic tomorrow before I start burning.