Stove size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
How do manufacturers measure the size of their stoves? With or without the fire brick in it? Useable volume? Total volume? I've been looking at my PE Summit insert and I'm coming up with 2.2 to 2.75 cubic feet even though PE says its a 3 cubic fire box. I'm measuring with the fire brick in it and my size range comes from the difference between how big it actually is and how much I think you can convientley put in it. Also, to the Summit owners, will it really take a 20 inch long? I'm thinking 18" max and 16" if you want to keep the wood off of the metal lip on the front of the stove.

Thanks

Karl

I think some manufactures include the space above the baffle as part of the firebox. I had a Hearthstone Homestead that claimed a 2 cu ft firebox and when I measured it was much less. My Woodstock fire box dimensions are right on and don't include above the baffle.

Well, I got 2.75 using some quick measurements and a calculator, so I don't think PE is counting the baffel. It's way more than .25 cubic feet. I'm just wonder how much wood you can actually put in it. I'm thinking to get much more than 2 cubic feet in it would be like playing a reverse game of Jenga.

AgainI not for taking manufacture's specs I'm the type that likes to measuer the actual fire box with bricks included.
What can I realistically get in there an still leaving a margine space around it

Status
Not open for further replies.