Stove Support and Air/Vapour Sealing -- Should there be any?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CO2Neutral

Mar 12, 2009
PEI Canada
Just wondering if there should be some sealing between the stove support and the ceiling (see pic)? I'm checking the installation on my mother-in-law's new T4 and noticed this.

It doesn't seem right that there would be this air gap directly through to the attic...

Thanks,

Attachments

• Stove Support.jpg
    Stove Support.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 140
Pic got turned around on me but yes, the stove does go through the ceiling even though the picture makes it look it's going thru the wall.

The installer must have been confused as to whether you wanted a chimney, or a hole in the ceiling. I would patch that up with drywall and compound, and caulk/seal -- ceiling leaks are a major heat drain, and the gap defeats the fire rating of the ceiling. Also check that the 2x4 showing wasn't structural.

The box should not require any gap around it, and it may have come with square metal trim to cover that (mine did).

(EDIT -- Come to think of it, there should also be more framing visible in that picture. I had to block all around mine with 2x4's, and if I remember correctly, the manual required 3 nails/screws on each side. The box supports the whole stack in my setup.)

Lol, just wanted to make sure. Actually there is a metal frame around it -- I just removed it. But ya, I used to blower door test for a living and this one would have been extra special drafty.

Thanks for confirming the issue: I just wasn't sure how much clearance was needed around the support box.

Status
Not open for further replies.