Stove Surround Materials?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puknutz

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2009
Southern Maryland
Can anyone please direct me on the proper materials to use for my Napoleon 1100 corner install surround? I have found some faux panels, but they dont seem to be fire rated. Is ceramic or porcelean tile considered non-combustable? I have read that in order for a surround to NFPA rated, there needs to be a 1" airgap between the combustables.
Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!

From Maryland!>>>>>> Worlds best CRABS!

Welcome to the forum. I am fairly new myself and I will tell you, if you haven't noticed yet, the people here are friendly, extremely knowledgable, and love talking wood burning.

I have just recently asked the exact question that you have. I built my own wall protection panels and hearth pad for my VC Defiant Encore stove. This is what I learned about wall protection.

1. It must be completely produced from non-combustable materials.
Example. Tile mortered to cement board spaced 1" from combustable wall with ceramic standoffs with 1" opening around all sides and bottom..... OK
Tile mortered to layer of cement board backed with plywood spaced 1" from combustable wall etc..... NOT OK!! Plywood backing is combustable material even though it is protected by tile and layer of cement board. No combustable materials allowed.
Tile mortered to cement board spaced 1" from combustable wall with 1" wood blocks with 1" opening around all sides and bottom..... NOT OK!!! Cannot be spaced with wooden blocks. Wood a combustable material and not allowed!!

2. It must be spaced a minimum 1" from combustable wall.

3. It must have an unobstructed 1" opening around top, bottom and sides to allow ventlation around the back side of the panel. You are allowed to mount a mesh (like screening as long as it's not combustable) over the top and sides so that nothing can fall behind the wall protection.

4. The panel must be large enough so that with your stove set at the proper clearence from the combustable wall (check your clearence charts in your manual and on the decal on the back of your stove) with wall protection that when you measure diagonally from any rear surface of the stove, to the nearest combustable wall surface, you are further away than your stoves clearence spec for an unprotected wall. (I hope you understand what I mean here.)
Keep in mind your stove pipe clearences from wall and ceiling!!

I am sure I missed alot and others will add but his should be enough to get you started and planning.

Rich

Wall shields are not a requirement unless one is trying to reduce clearances. You don't need to put up any wall shielding as long as you increase the distance from combustibles to match the stove's requirements. Check the manual for corner clearances required for this stove. Note that it will be affected by the connector pipe too. Single wall connector has greater clearance requirements than double wall.

For the 1100 series the corner-install clearance is just 2" if using double-wall pipe or a pipe shield. No need to put anything fancy on the walls. I have painted drywall behind my 1100C corner install, with close to the minimum 2" distance. The wall does get hot, but not enough to cause any trouble.

There's no rule saying that the stove has to have a wall shield, this is just to get to the minimum clearances for some stoves. However, it looks like the Napoleon manual does not show that as an option for this stove. Given its already close clearances, there really isn't a need for a wall shield unless you want it for peace of mind. Personally, I like to exceed the minimum clearances if there's room.

If you want to cover the wall for aesthetic reasons there's no harm in doing this. But there is no need for the 1" air gap behind it. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are non-combustible. If you've found some faux panels, are they non-combustible? Can you post a link to the product information?

Code allows for clearences to be reduced by using 1" metal stand off's then using sheetmetal or concrete board to cover with a 1" air space.You can divide them by 50%.
Most often 18" is the clearence to any combustible surface.
As mentioned if there is wood in the wall it is combustible even though it is faced with brick or ceramic.
Studding can spontaneously combust at around 500 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.