Stove temp difference with OAK on and Off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
With my OAK on or off and using an oven thermometer I could not see any change at all in the hot air temp exiting the blower holes . I would have thought some difference would have been evident.
Ignore this post if this has already been determined and concluded. I just needed to find out if mine differed.

jtakeman said:
I found the same thing with my testing. I didn't say anything as I though no one would believe me. As I was wondering to use OAK or not for these pellet tests(I ended up using the OAK).

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

I wonder if you would see any changes in the exhaust temps?

jay

Hi jay,
It`s a good thought.
I don`t think I have good way to check my exhaust temps. I suppose I could drill a small hole and insert my thermometer probe but I didn`t want to compromise the integrity of the sealed exhaust.
Do you have any other ideas how to do it?
On second thought If the exhaust temp changed noticeably wouldn`t it have an opposite effect on the heat exchanger causing different heat temps blowing out the front?

I picked up a spare tee cap. I was going to mount a probe in it. The tee cap is only single wall and the nice thing is its replaceable. My tee is right at the stove and inside the house.

I will be off for the Xmas break, So I guess I should see if it is plausible(myth-busters is getting to me).

jtakeman said:
I picked up a spare tee cap. I was going to mount a probe in it. The tee cap is only single wall and the nice thing is its replaceable. My tee is right at the stove and inside the house.

I will be off for the Xmas break, So I guess I should see if it is plausible(myth-busters is getting to me).

Maybe I'm missing the point of this, but seems to me that measuring the temp in your exhaust would be pointless. Temp in the exhaust is heat going out of the house, not warming your space.I realize your exhaust needs to maintain a certain temp, but too high and I would think you're wasting BTUs. I pretty much stay out of these discussions, because mine is set for the convection fan to come on when the sensor hits 175 (I think) and go off at 160 (I think). Anything over 185 (I think) will shut it down on hi limit. Values are approximate, but you get the picture. BUT, it's a furnace, that's how it's supposed to work. (I think)

EDIT: Re - read the posts, guess I missed the point the first time. As Emily Litella said, "Never mind." Sorry.

jtakeman said:

Sounds like a good way to find out. I don`t have a T in my vent.

Don't know if this would work in your setups, but I just watched my oilburner maintenance guy do a bunch of tests on the furnace exhaust by removing the one screw holding the stovepipe together and inserting the probe in the screw hole.

Terrier Lady said:
Don't know if this would work in your setups, but I just watched my oilburner maintenance guy do a bunch of tests on the furnace exhaust by removing the one screw holding the stovepipe together and inserting the probe in the screw hole.
Yes, I`ve seen the ones with a very slim probe. Mines about 1/4 " thick though.

I think the idea behind the OAK is more to maintain a neutral air pressure inside your home rather than influence the burn. Of course if a negative pressure situation did happen in your home then that would effect your burn. I think the OAK is a good idea to keep cold air from infiltrating your house and keeping it warmer. If my stove wasn't centrally located in a hearth set up I would have an OAK too.

Status
Not open for further replies.