Stove temp. variance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I always measure stove top temp on my griddle (basic cheap thermometer) & give 25* play either way.
Tonight, I placed a second (again cheap) thermometer on the body/top of the stove 2" from the griddle thermometer & was surprised to see such a variance:

Griddle 625
Stove top 500

As the stove cooled:

Griddle 500
Stove top 400

Griddle 350
Stove top 200

So when people talk about stove top temp of 600 I should be thinking 700-725. This would be pretty hot since at 625-650 (griddle) I can barely put my hand 5" from the stove top...

The best location for the thermometer varies with stove design. On the Encore, Resolute, etc. I'd be measuring on the griddle as recommended by VC.

So if mine reads 600* it does not necessarily mean that your T6 is radiating at 600* (does this make sense?)

Your griddle is exposed. Where I measure 600 is on the stove top there still is a heavy, slotted castiron section above it. That affects how the hear radiates. It takes a while for that cast iron mass to get up to temperature. The stove is more a convector than a radiator.

Thanks BG pardon my ignorance...what is the difference between radiation & convection (I failed physics)

If I get it correctly a thick piece of cast will obtain the same temp as a thin piece...

Status
Not open for further replies.