stove thermometer on T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman467

Aug 6, 2010
Centerville, Tennessee
I should be getting my PE T5 in a week or so. I am getting the black porcelain enamled version. Where is the best place to put a stove thermometer on the T5? The thermometer that I have is the Inferno Stove Top Thermometer. Thanks.

Attachments

• INFERNO.jpg
    INFERNO.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 235
Congratulations. Put the thermometer on the stove top, not the trivet. Place it a few inches in front of and to the side of the flue. Left or right side, it doesn't matter. Try to locate it so that you can see the middle of the temp range with the trivet closed.

BeGreen said:
Congratulations. Put the thermometer on the stove top, not the trivet. Place it a few inches in front of and to the side of the flue. Left or right side, it doesn't matter. Try to locate it so that you can see the middle of the temp range with the trivet closed.

Then we can all talk about the same random numbers that the thermometers produce, just joking. Suggestion, put the thermometer in the oven on a pizza stone or pan at various temps to get an idea if it is in the ballpark-- some can be off by quite a bit (both ovens and stove thermometers).

So, the thermometer will be under the trivet? I guess you can see enough of it through the trivet to see the temperature. Thanks for the information.

Hey guys, I had my stove partly installed today. The installer has to come back again to finish up. He said that he can bring a flue thermometer and put it in the double wall pipe. Here are my questions. Would a hole in the pipe with the thermometer allow any smoke to leak out into the room? Would you recommend getting this done? If so, where would it look the best , centered in the front just above the stove, on the side, or on the back out of view? Thanks.

Congratulations. You don't really need an extra thermometer to run the stove well. It is more for the stove geeks. If you want a flue thermometer, it should be placed about 18" above the stove. Most face front, but the direction it faces is entirely up to you. I wouldn't recommend on the back though, you might end up burning your nose trying to read it.

Is there any problem with smoke leaking out of the pipe through the hole it was installed through?

BTW, this stove is crazy heavy. We had a very hard time getting it into the house.

There should be no issue at all with smoke leakage with a probe thermometer installed. Yes, it's a massive stove. You will grow to appreciate that. It gives off a soft heat while burning and retains the heat for hours after the fire dies down.

patrolman467 said:
Hey guys, I had my stove partly installed today. The installer has to come back again to finish up. He said that he can bring a flue thermometer and put it in the double wall pipe. Here are my questions. Would a hole in the pipe with the thermometer allow any smoke to leak out into the room? Would you recommend getting this done? If so, where would it look the best , centered in the front just above the stove, on the side, or on the back out of view? Thanks.

I'm a big proponent of probe thermometers in double wall pipe . . . to be honest they really help me to run my stove more efficiently . . . and no, a normal drafting stove should have no issues with smoke . . . if you get the smoke coming out of the probe's hole I can guarantee you that you'll be getting smoke coming out of every other small hole, crack and crevice in the stove.

The reason I like my probe thermometer is that I use it constantly to know when to start adjusting my air to get a good, sustained secondary as well as watching it to determine if I am burning too hot or too cold.

As for the location . . . most are recommended to be 18 inches above the stove collar . . . and you will want the dial to be in view . . . it is not very obtrusive and gives you a lot of feedback . . . it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have it in back of the pipe where you couldn't see it . . . that would be akin to having a speedometer on your car, but mounting it on the back seat. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.