Stove Top Kettle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
So I'm looking to add a stove top kettle to my Jotul 118. Although it's in the basement, its a walk-out and is really dry down there. We're also spending more time down there and would like some type of added humidity. My wife is pretty particular and does not like the traditional kettles; that would be waaayyy too easy. So, I think I've found one that she'd like: http://www.staubusa.com/prod_teapots/index.asp

My question is: with these only being .75 to 1qt, will I be filling that every 5 minutes? My stove top is usually around 550f. Since it's cast iron, I wouldn't assume that it would hurt it even if it were to run dry and just heat up. Am I correct in this assumption? Any downsides?

Thanks all!

You will be filling it a lot. I'm in the process of making steamers/kettles for a stove shop and the owner said that they like 3 qt steamers for that reason.

Those kettles almost violate the first rule of making teapots- never have the spout below the fill level (or the water comes out when filled). Also- should that thing get a rolling boil going, the water will come out the spout if filled to that level, so they may effectively be a bit less volume than quoted.

edit: Oh- and yes, they could be run dry. They should be very durable. The styling of those was pretty cool, despite their apparent "fatal flaw" in spout arrangement.

Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.