Stove top temp./ steamer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromehdmc

Mar 1, 2009
Kansas City
The stove is rolling along nicely, thermometer says 500 deg. The little bowl of water on the stove top is steaming along. My question is...why isn't it at a rolling boil like it does on the coking stove? Is my thermometer way off or am I missing something here?

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

Larry

Go put a large pot of water on the stove, bring to a boil, remove and place a thermometer (you don't love) on the burner. You will find that red hot burner is a bit more than 500 °F .

Dakotas Dad hit the nail on the head. However, when we cook on our stove (we do a lot) we get some bubbling effect with various things and do have to watch it to make sure the fire does not get too hot.

An interesting thought comes to mind and that is how hot did the old cook stoves get? For sure we used to boil water on our old cook stove when I was a young lad.

The old cook stoves had removable plates and cooking took place directly above the fire, right? Cheers!

Although that is indeed possible and done a lot, that is not how all cooking was done on the old cook stoves. Most older folks I knew simply left the lids in place while cooking.

Place a lid on that steamer and you'll see the difference. Have you ever boiled maple sap down? It doesn't boil until it's done (thicker without as much water). Steam is the energy releasing into the air.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.