Stove top temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwinder98

Dec 17, 2014
Pennsylvania
I have a PE super 27 and I've been running the top temps around 500-550, I briefly searched this site to see if it would be safe to run it a little higher, say 600-650, I just went through a week of single digits into the negative, I would like to think it can run harder but the Rutland thermometer I have says 600 is over fire.

I have a PE super 27 and I've been running the top temps around 500-550, I briefly searched this site to see if it would be safe to run it a little higher, say 600-650, I just went through a week of single digits into the negative, I would like to think it can run harder but the Rutland thermometer I have says 600 is over fire.
I would check the manual or with a local dealer just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Dakotas Dad
That is a single-wall flue thermometer. The ranges are for reading flue temps. 600F is cruising for your stove. It will normally peak in the 650F range with good hardwood and may sometimes go up to 700F. Go by the temp and ignore ranges.

I'd invest in an IR thermometer. The hot spot on mine is all over the place, making placement of a magnetic thermo a crap shoot. What was the hottest spot on the previous load can be total opposite on the next one. I've seen a difference of 200° or more, within even a couple inches.

Maybe I play with my IR too much. And it's a cheapy from Harbor Freight, so how accurate is it? Maybe it's no better the the Rutland magnetic.

Reactions: CenterTree
I'd invest in an IR thermometer. The hot spot on mine is all over the place, making placement of a magnetic thermo a crap shoot. What was the hottest spot on the previous load can be total opposite on the next one. I've seen a difference of 200° or more, within even a couple inches.

Maybe I play with my IR too much. And it's a cheapy from Harbor Freight, so how accurate is it? Maybe it's no better the the Rutland magnetic.

I have the same cheapo IR. Aim it at my electronic home thermometer and it's never more than 2 degrees off. Not bad.
Could be off at much higher temps but I'm pretty impressed with it.

Yeah some of those gauges (rutland) are more for the pipe.
I have both the Rutland and a nice "Inferno" brand on top of my stove, it gives me a better feel for overall temps.

Like begreen said though, just ignore the "burn ranges" and go by temp only.

I have an IR gun too,,,love it. You can move it all around the stove a learn what is really going on with your temps.:cool:

The IR gun is also great for checking the stove pipe in various places. (good for chasing the wife around too);lol

IMHO 600-650 would be ideal for that PE-27.

If you think YOU play with your IR Gun too much, try pointing it at your wife's forehead when she's angry at you for overheating the house while she tries to sleep. I can promise you that whatever happens after that moment is fit to be part of viral internet moment.

Andrew

When mine gets going really good, I usually have a stove top temp of about 650-700. I made my stove and used thick steel so it takes a little bit to get
warmed up. The temp that I bring it up to really depends. Since I'm not in the northern part of the country I only need it about 4 days a week most of the time.
This last week however its been going every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.