Stove with auto thermostat vs. one with heat settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

downtocamp

Oct 11, 2008
Central Maine
Hi, I'm shopping for a small pellet stove and have it narrowed down to a few (that are actually in stock!) A couple are the Napoleon NP40 and Osburn Hybrid #45 (and others like it). The Napoleon has great ratings but is not thermostat-compatible, the others are. I'll be leaving the stove on during the day while I'm at work and want to make sure it doesn't burn too hot or not hot enough. So I would think having a stove that uses a thermostat would be preferable to one like the Napoleon that you'd be guessing when putting the setting on low, because the fuel will burn differently on a really cold day than on a warmer one on the same setting. The Napoleon salesperson said you could just "play with the settings" to get it to burn evenly during the day, but I'm leaning toward the thermostat-compatible ones. What's everyone else's experience with thermostats and/or those 2 stoves? Thanks!

IMO, go with a stove that can be hooked to a T-Stat...why burn pellets when you don't need to? Let the T-Stat keep the house cooler while your not there, and warm-up when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.