stove won't close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newvigilant

Oct 25, 2008
Central MA
Hi- we just installed a VC Vigilant from the '70s. The door gasket needed replacing, so we replaced it with a 3/8 inch rope 'Grapho-Glas' gasket, and now we can't get the doors to close all the way- the rope on the hinge sides binds, so when we close the latch, there's still a big gap at the top of the doors. Can anyone help? We're complete neophytes to this woodstove thing, but hope to save a bundle after freezing all last winter and still spending $4000 on oil!! Thanks

Is there any adjustment in the handle...out stove has 2 nuts that can make the door tighter or looser. If you try that just be aware that there may be a very small locking key along the threads of the bolt. The key moves the locking fastener to the inside of the stove. Clean the hearth pad before trying it...that way if it falls out you can see it right away...it's small but very important...about onequarter the size of a bobby pin. Hope you can get it closed without getting a smaller gasket.

Just to clarify we don't have a viligent...but it's a common fastener.

I do believe that the Vigilant uses a 5/16" door gasket. Probably what the problem is. 3/16" for the glass.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, we've tried adjusting the door latch, to no avail.

Can 1/16 of an inch really make that much difference? Obviously, we don't want to have to start all over! I guess if we have to, we will, though.

You can try to take the old stuff out and stretch it thin in the area that it binds, but it's better to do it with the right size gasket.

Matt

Just to follow up- looks like we've got the problem solved. My husband took out the gasket he'd put in and spent a couple hours grinding out what was probably many years worth of cement from the grooves. He then put in a 5/16 inch gasket, and now the door closes. Thank you all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.