Stovepipe Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dfd

Sep 23, 2014
Zeeland,Michigan
I am installing a new Jotul F500 and am not sure which stovepipe configuration would be best for me.I don't like the way the chimney sweepings fall into this stove compared to my old Vermont Castings where it just fell into the firebox since I am finatical about keeping my chimney clean and do it often.I was going to vent it out the back with a T and clean-out to simplify the cleaning process.The dealer who seemed quite knowledgable said he does it with a telescoping pipe and just slides it up and vacuums out the creosote.My question is will the telescoping pipe continue to slide up freely after it gets some crud in it?I want to make sure I get it right the first time and not have to dread sweeping my chimney if this is a bad idea

A couple things. Burn dry wood properly in an Oslo and it is highly possible that you should not need to clean the chimney more than once a year unless this is a very cold chimney. It is a clean burning stove, especially if comparing it to the original VC stoves. Also, the Oslo top is removable for cleaning purposes. It is gasketed. The bolts that hold it down are just for shipping. In Europe they typically remove them and leave them off. The weight of the top is sufficient to keep the lid gasket compressed and sealing.

I had the T configuration on my old Garrison. When we bought the Castine, I opted for the top flue, and thought I would slide the pipe up for cleaning. Turns out that is a real PITA, but the simple solution is to just lift the top off the stove as Begreen mentioned. No fussing with the flue, and you can really get the stove clean. I'm not sure about the Oslo, but on the Castine, you can easily lift the secondary air chamber right out through the top for even better cleaning.

The top configuration lets you move the stove closer to the back wall which was a plus for us, since the Castine (and the Oslo) are fairly deep stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.