Stovepipe close to dormer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So-indiana

Feb 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
Hi guys I'm a newbie to the forum and a new wood stove owner. I just had my stove installed this week. Due to house layout constraints our stove pipe is relatively close to a dormer as you can see in the picture. It was professionally installed and meets all required minimum clearances, etc. the problem is we want to add a chimney chase and think it may look a little funny that close to the dormer. SO....my question to all you veteran owners, do you think there's a way I could tie it in to the adjacent dormer to look aesthetically ok? I've thought about a faux/false dormer, or extending the existing dormers width with a "false portion" to enclose the chimney. Another option would be to add some elbows in the attic (costly and perhaps less efficient I'm told) to get it further away to the left from dormer. Sorry that was a mouthful but any ideas? Thanks, stay warm friends!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 609
Another option would be to add some elbows in the attic (costly and perhaps less efficient I'm told) to get it further away to the left from dormer. !
I would not consider moving it. Way too much involved. And still it would be the same "look" I think.
Do not add any elbows inside either. (harder to clean and not as good for draft)

Is that pipe at least 2 feet above that dormer? Hard to tell from PIC.

I think a false dormer would be an option, but it would take some real planning to make it look as if it "belonged" there.

I think if you let the class a pipe as it is for a while you will get used to it and will soon forget about how it looks odd to yourself.
Most people (passing by) will never even consider it as odd looking.

Painting it to match the shingles would help a lot.:)
http://forrestpaint.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CRFCC1.pdf

Yeah, looks fine to me. That is very similar to how mine is installed. I have an interior chase in a bedroom and stove pipe exits directly out of the dormer. Mine is even less aesthetically pleasing than yours IMO. I don't have an exterior pic handy but here is an interior pic of mine during the installation:
img0279oc.jpg

If someone doesn't like it they can buy my house and rip it out. I think yours looks just fine.

Thanks guys...yeah I didn't think about the added difficulty cleaning with added elbows centertree...good point. And yes it is 2' over the peak. The good thing is this is the back of my house...but wife would prefer it hidden. I may look at extending the dormer in the future...I figured someone out there had to have run into this issue before.

Looks fine the way it is, tell the wife to get dinner going ;)

Reactions: NVHunter
Hard to say if it is ok or not. Measure from the pipe horizontally to the dormer. Is it greater than 10' away? If yes, no problem. If no, it has to be 2 ft higher than that roof point 10ft away.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

Hard to say if it is ok or not. Measure from the pipe horizontally to the dormer. Is it greater than 10' away? If yes, no problem. If no, it has to be 2 ft higher than that roof point 10ft away.

View attachment 128485
Thanks be green...yeah it meets those dimensions...just trying to see if maybe I can extend that dormer to the left to encapsulate the pipe and make it look a little better for my lovely wife ;)

Should work as long as all clearances are honored and a fireblock is in place. I would extend the dormer both directions to keep it symmetrical. Maybe switch to a shed roof style?

Do not add any elbows inside either. (harder to clean and not as good for draft)
Not to say that you should offset below the roof but don't let this soccer from centertree scare you away. I have an offset in my attic (2-15 degree elbows) and it is still very easy to clean and I have plenty of draft. Sooteater goes right through the offset. So easy in fact that I can't even tell when the head of the sooteater gets to the offset.

Thanks me pellet, good to know... ill keep that in mind. Begreen I like your idea of making dormer wider in both directions to keep symmetrical...I think that's my solution! Thanks again

Not to say that you should offset below the roof but don't let this soccer from centertree scare you away. I have an offset in my attic (2-15 degree elbows) and it is still very easy to clean and I have plenty of draft. Sooteater goes right through the offset. So easy in fact that I can't even tell when the head of the sooteater gets to the offset.

Same here. I have a 45 degree offset (two 45's back to back) in the stove pipe and in the chase there are two 15 degree elbows back to back. I can't tell when the SootEater hits either. If I take the pipe off from the stove I can still see day light when looking up through the whole stack.

Thanks me pellet, good to know... ill keep that in mind. Begreen I like your idea of making dormer wider in both directions to keep symmetrical...I think that's my solution! Thanks again

I think you'll really appreciate the additional space and light that this will add to the room.

So-Indiana, how tall is your class a pipe from the roof edge (where it's exiting the roof)up to the pipe end?

Just curious seeing how tall it is to compare what I need for my height, 74" of class a pipe.

Thanks

Sometimes the effort to hide something actually calls more attention to it.
Consider also if you enclose it, then the pipe will need to extend 3' above the roof where it exits.
Perhaps painting the pipe a color similar to the roof shingles would be sufficient to downplay the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.