stovepipe heat shield question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoInferno

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I'm looking at doing a Napoleon 1100C corner install with relatively tight clearances, so I either need to use double-wall pipe or single-wall with a heat shield. I see there are one or two standard heat shields out there, which are universal-fit for 6-8" stovepipe. Does anybody know many degrees of coverage (angle around the pipe) these provide? It's hard to tell from the pictures I've seen. I'm trying to figure out if a single shield will protect both walls in a corner install.

Mine looks to be a bit shy of 180 on 6" single wall. It's the ubiquitous Imperial adjustable length shield. Rick

There seem to be two out there - the Imperial adjustable one, which can be had for as little as $15, and the Homesaver nonadjustable one which is more like $30. The Homesaver looked like 180 degrees, but the stock Imperial picture was not clear. 90 degrees would half-cover each wall, so anything approaching 180 degrees should be fine. Thanks for the quick reply.

Followup - I ordered a set of Imperial shields. They are 10.75" across (measured flat), which comes out to 154 degrees of a 8" diameter circle (6" pipe plus 1" air gap on each side). That should be enough to shield both walls in a corner install, although as the directions don't specifically address the wall configuration it's open to interpretation.

That agrees with my installed shield measurements, and I've duplicated your math results, and I agree that you'll probably be fine with it in a corner. I used mine to reduce CTC from 18" to 15". Dunno how close you're trying to go...double check to ensure that the shield will do it for you safely. Have fun! Rick

I'm looking at reducing clearance from 18" to somewhere between 13" and 15". The chimney isn't installed yet but that's the target.

My understanding is that the shield gives you a permissible clearance reduction of up to 2/3, so you're good to go all the way down to 6" from stovepipe to combustible wall with the shield installed on the stovepipe. Rick

The sheet that came with it says only 1/2, down to 9". Plenty for my application, as I'm limited by the stove's clearances (which are only 2" in a corner install).

Some double-wall can get down to 6". I thought about going that way but I wanted to see how much extra heat I would get with partially exposed single-wall pipe.

I like using single wall in the living space, but it's a trade-off...more heat lost as the flue gases rise toward the chimney means more likelihood of creosote condensation. Burn dry wood, burn the stove in such a way as to minimize the time you have low smoldering fires, inspect/clean the stovepipe & chimney regularly. Same rules as for everyone else burning wood. I've seen the 9" number for the heat shields, as well...was just referring to the least restrictive I've come across, and it was, in fact, referring to a sheet metal shield 1" away from single wall pipe. In any case, in your installation it sounds like you'll be fine. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.