Stovepipe through shiplap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChrisB

Apr 19, 2009
NE Texas
I have an old house with shiplap walls. Some of the chimneys are encased in shiplap or tongue in groove boards. I am installing sheetrock over the wood. The stovepipe enters the chimney through a hole in the sheetrock and the wood. In the picture you can see where I removed some of the tongue in groove to show the chimney behind it. What is the proper way to install a stovepipe in this situation?

Attachments

• IMG_0849.JPG
    IMG_0849.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 169
you can take advantage of the nice brick work by removing all the shiplap exposing the chimney or at least removing 18" around the brick work. Single wall black pipe requires clearance of 18" to combustibles, double wall pipe needs 6" if you passing through the chimney and wish to have everything sheet rocked, then you can change the pipe to a class a length and reduce the clearance of the sheet rock to 2"
The other thing to note is that the chimney its self has clearances to, unless you have an insulated liner or continuous 8" of masonry you should not be adding combustible materials directly onto the brick.

Reactions: ChrisB
you can take advantage of the nice brick work by removing all the shiplap exposing the chimney or at least removing 18" around the brick work. Single wall black pipe requires clearance of 18" to combustibles, double wall pipe needs 6" if you passing through the chimney and wish to have everything sheet rocked, then you can change the pipe to a class a length and reduce the clearance of the sheet rock to 2"
The other thing to note is that the chimney its self has clearances to, unless you have an insulated liner or continuous 8" of masonry you should not be adding combustible materials directly onto the brick.
This house was built circa 1892, there are no closets, so they framed around the chimneys and extended the framing to make closets next to the chimneys (see the pic, the shelving to the right). I was hoping to save that, but it'll have to go too, due to how it is constructed. I thought about removing 18" around the stovepipe, just not sure I'd like the look. I guess the shiplap will have to go, Thanks for the reply.

Why not an insulated wall thimble? That is what they are made for. What is the chimney liner with?

Just an old brick chimney. No liner of any kind.
Then the wall pass thru is one one of the substantial safety risks. But are you sure there aren't clay liners in there? That brick looks pretty modern to be unlined

If this is an original unlined chimney from 1892 running a wood stove through it is not very safe at all anymore

I'm positive there is no clay liner. I had a chimney inspector inspect the chimneys when I bought the house. They were very clean, no soot or anything , like they were barely used. There were old gas heaters (non vented) all throughout the house and set into the fireplaces. The chimneys had sheet metal covers on them with holes drilled in them. Originally the house was smaller. The wall behind the wood stove was the rear exterior wall of the original structure. The room that the wood stove is in was added later, but this was done a very long time ago. Here's an old picture of the house, it's not dated, but you can see the chimney, it's the one on the left towards the rear. I don't know if the chimney was part of the original house or if it was added when the room was added. The other chimneys have perfectly round holes with a metal sleeve, but this one looks like someone took a hammer and busted a hole in it. I haven't opened up the walls enough to see if maybe it originally had an opening on the other side for a stove in that room which would have been the original part of the house. It seems odd, if the chimney was built at the time this room was added, that it wouldn't have a nice round hole like the others. Hope that makes sense, it's late and I'm rambling.

Attachments

• old house.png
    old house.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 95
I'm positive there is no clay liner. I had a chimney inspector inspect the chimneys when I bought the house. They were very clean, no soot or anything , like they were barely used. There were old gas heaters (non vented) all throughout the house and set into the fireplaces. The chimneys had sheet metal covers on them with holes drilled in them. Originally the house was smaller. The wall behind the wood stove was the rear exterior wall of the original structure. The room that the wood stove is in was added later, but this was done a very long time ago. Here's an old picture of the house, it's not dated, but you can see the chimney, it's the one on the left towards the rear. I don't know if the chimney was part of the original house or if it was added when the room was added. The other chimneys have perfectly round holes with a metal sleeve, but this one looks like someone took a hammer and busted a hole in it. I haven't opened up the walls enough to see if maybe it originally had an opening on the other side for a stove in that room which would have been the original part of the house. It seems odd, if the chimney was built at the time this room was added, that it wouldn't have a nice round hole like the others. Hope that makes sense, it's late and I'm rambling.
Yeah in that case you need an insulated liner in the chimney to make it safe