Stove's Stomach Growling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
Loaded the stove up for bed at about 8:45 last night. By 9:05 air is turned down to night time setting and things are just cruising. At 9:45 I start hearing that noise nobody wants to hear "grumble, grumble" from the stove!

First thought of course was, Chimney Fire but HOW??? I just cleaned the chimney a month ago and after all of fall's burning had a handful of powder nothingness to take out of it. All temps on the stove were normal, fire looked normal, went outside and looked at the chimney, no smoke, no embers coming out of the cap, etc. Came back in and am inspecting everything over and the sound persists.

Long story short, about about 5 trips in and out of the house where I just can't see any evidence of a chimney fire other than this sound so I said screw it and got the ladder and spot light out and headed up on the roof. (even though this is a low sloping roof it's still snow covered and I was about 3 martini's into the evening, ugh it was a long day)

Pull the cap and no smoke at all from the chimney, use the spotlight to look all the way down and I can see all of the ridges in the liner, thin light grey fuzz in spots of the pipe, even the top foot and cap were perfect but I can still hear this sound even on the roof!

Back down to the house, and I get poking a bit more around the stove and it sounds like I can hear it from the air intake also.

If I adjusted the air fully closed the noise would diminish but return the instant I opened up the air a bit again. Opening up the air more didn't seem to make the sound any louder.

It sounded like something IN the stove was vibrating. When I opened the door on the stove it would go away also. Is it possible that my baffle boards were vibrating??? I just don't know other than it definitely was able to grab my attention. This morning, I can't get the stove to duplicate this action.

Certainly glad that it wasn't a chimney fire but still wish I could figure out where that sound came from. :-S

pen

Sounds like your stove maybe wanted a martini or 2???

GAMMA RAY said:
Sounds like your stove maybe wanted a martini or 2???

ha! The kicker here was I after making my hurried trips in and out of the house, stomped around on the roof, came back in, told the wife what I was trying to figure out and she says, "Oh yea, I forgot to tell you it did that on Sunday too" :smirk: Thanks hun, thanks.

pen

Certainly sounds like an odd vibration from the air entering the stove. I've had some rumbles, just not quite so loud, but deep, which was caused by draft. Was it windy? Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Certainly sounds like an odd vibration from the air entering the stove. I've had some rumbles, just not quite so loud, but deep, which was caused by draft. Was it windy? Cheers!

This wasn't really loud either, just could be heard as background noise against the TV. Last night was the calm before the storm around here. hmmmm.

pen

I know that the 30 doesn't have a startup air control, but I will get a deep rumble if I forget the startup and the fire gets cranking. I post this as a testament to incoming air "could" be causing this.

May have sucked something in the air intake, small piece of paper, plastic, etc that changed the air flow just
enough to start making some noise at a particular air flow rate.
Maybe the noise is a well tuned stove! & it's purring. :)

bogydave said:
Maybe the noise is a well tuned stove! & it's purring. :)

Well, if that's the case it's taken me 2 years to make her happy.

I should be embarrassed.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.