Stovetop Fireworks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ontherise

Hearth Supporter
Woops. First year with the stove, really getting the hang of it and about to do a review of the Oslo someday but quickly - It has been a workhorse. We have a 2400SF Colonial that is pretty tight (6 years old, modular construction) but has a few drafty areas still. We used to use about 1,000 gals of oil a season give or take 150 or so. We could expect a regular fillup at least monthly on the autofill with at least 150gals going into our 275 gal oil tank. Now we haven't turned the downstairs heat on once.. Room stove is in (not an open concept house, though we opened it up some) gets pretty hot, 80s or so. Downstairs room with thermostat on opposite end stays around 68-71 depending on the day. We go through more wood than I'd like this first year (loading the stove much more than twice a day but quality and lack of seasoning at play here) but enjoy it. Turn the heat on upstairs before bedtime (3 kids) though upstairs hallways stays 67-69. While stove is going. We turn the upstairs thermostat down to 66 or 67 and the heat kicks in a bit overnight but not much. When we wake up the stove top is about 250+- depending on what time we went to bed (up around 6ish, coldest stove top if we go to bed around 10 or earlier.. sometimes 175/200 but coals good enough to start a fire). We've had one oil fill up in December (none in November) and it was only 92Gals. So we just about saved the money on the 5+ cords we bought from neighborhood friends already! (stove cost recovery comes with next fillups and tax break). We love it. Getting used to it and we'll have to look into why the stove doesn't seem to push as long as we'd like but I suspect a lot is wood that is only 1-1.5 yrs old. Could also be draft and connection at back of stove for pipe. Hear a lot of air movement at stove, especially on windy days (2 story house, chimney straight pipe all the way up through both floors and 5' off roof). So a few things to experiment with... Loving wood heat though. So warm. Of course need to keep more moisture in house other ways, if you leave a piece of bread out in the kitchen it is toast by morning :)

Which brings me to the fireworks... We haven't bought a kettle yet so we use a heavy stainless steel sauce pan to keep some moisture coming off the stove (should buy the stupid kettle already, we refill the saute pan quite regularly). Tonight while burning a bit hot for the -0F weather we have here in NH, I let the top get a bit hot - 650 or so and when I went to take the pan off for a refill I noticed the temp, backed the stove down but saw little red flickers throughout the stove top (We don't have the cook top, but the red flickers were on the oval removable plate). Nothing major as far as number or frequency. I presume we just got it too hot unless there is also a problem with the different types of metal being together (the stainless steel on top of the enamel on the cast iron).

It might have just been dust fleck burning off. Can you add your stove to your signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.