Stovetop temp with "double baffle"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nigel459

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi all, hope your firewood is plentiful and dry as winter approaches.

I have a Scan A10 stove. Nice little looker. My question is relating to measured stovetop temp. I have a good "inferno" stovetop thermometer and a "condor" flue probe 18" up. The stove's baffle system has an extra layer if you will, as in there is a skamol "normal" baffle and then the exhaust passes behind and up over another full piece of skamol between the baffle and then out the stovetop.

I'm able to cruise nice and controlled, with good secondaries, lazy flame, and flue gases around 350-400F. The temperature measured on the stovetop occasionally gets higher than the flue gases, but only with perfect wood I'd say.

As suggested here, ideally your stovetop is much hotter than the flue gases. The skamol baffles sometimes even can glow red when flue gases are ~350 which surely is a good sign, but the stovetop rarely gets too high up above that 450-500F mark at the hottest place near a few inches beside the flue collar.

The stove throws great heat, and for the small firebox (maybe 1.2cf) I can't complain about burn times either. I'm mainly interested in whether it is burning efficiently, and whether the "double baffle" prevents me from seeing higher stovetop temps. Any thoughts?

Here's a video (not my stove) showing a nice burn, and the double baffle below the stovetop.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's burning nicely. General numbers for temps may not always apply, especially to more unique stove designs.