strange 8" chimney top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotefred

Aug 15, 2015
Cheyenne Wyoming
I've tried to search around for some additional information on this unusual (at least I've not seen too many) "top" to my 8" wood stove chimney.

Can anyone educate me on this? Is this design still in use or were these a fad in the late 70s when my home was built/woodstove installed and not so much today? Maybe the design was supposed to help prevent downdrafts or ???

I've had a fair number of fires with it last winter and it seemed to draw fine compared to other wood stoves/chimneys I've used; its mated to an old Scandia stove with 8" outlet.

It's kinda ugly though, so I wouldn't mind replacing it with something a little more conventional. Coyotefred.jpg

I bet it's for down drafts.

I'd keep it just because it's odd looking. Maybe paint it orange or gold... Hang balloons from it, that sort of thing. ==c

I believe it is called a dutch cap or something like that and yes it is to stop the effects of wind they work ok but are not easy to clean. We still see allot of them put on Amish or Mennonite chimneys here. Have you had you whole chimney inspected by a pro? It looks like a pretty old setup i would have an inspection done to confirm it is in good working order.

Hey thanks, that would definitely be an improvement! It's interesting that this home has this particular "cap." This part of the country certainly gets wind, but where this house is located up in the hills the wind is considerably less than in nearby places that are more exposed. I don't believe I've ever seen this design in our region.

I would replace it with a plain old cap first. chances are it will be fine with a regular cap

Status
Not open for further replies.