Strange noise from Distribution Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camdids

Shut down last weekend to do a full mid season clean. Heavy Ash build up and not as hot. Door Gasket also needed changing. Pulled the stove out, cleaned everything, Combustion Blower ,Distribution Blower the Lot. Even Brushed out the Chimney Pipe.
The Distribution Blower Motor was covered in Dust and with some help holding the stove I gave the Blower fan a clean. There was quite a bit of build up in the fins.
After firing back up, the heat output has increased about 4-5 degrees. However after a couple of days I have started hearing a kind of tapping noise coming from underneath where the Blower is. Its sounds like the ball in a roulette wheel. I can make it increase and lessen by turning it up and down. I would not say I did a real thorough clean, so I'm thinking maybe something stuck there.
Also, as I get older my memory is getting worse, I cant remember if The Blower Fan should spin freely or not. This one had a small amount of tension but would turn, just not spin freely.

Arrrrr. Should spin pretty free. Brushing the fan is the only way to get those stubborn dust bunnies.

Status
Not open for further replies.