Strip curtain or other option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
I need to keep cold air from entering my basement through a door-sized opening but installing a door won't work. I'm thinking of either using an insulated curtain or one of those strip curtains that you pass through at your grocer to get to your beverage of choice sold by the 30 pack. Ahem, I digess. Does anyone use these at home or have any recommendations? Where would one look to buy one. I've searched a bit online.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

You have my attention, why won't a door work on your door sized opening?

You have my attention, why won't a door work on your door sized opening?

The opening is at the top of a set of stairs that lead down to the basement. If I put a door in, I'd rather it not swing into the stairwell and if it were to swing the other way, it'll bump into other door openings. It's a rather complicated configuration due to poor planning when the addition was constructed many years before we purchased the home.

Box the stairs out and put a door at the bottom rather than the top.
I have insulated curtains in my office. They help, but do not stop drafts or seal the cold completely out.
Strip curtains ain't going to stop all of it either.

Why can't the door swing into the stairwell? Is it unusually narrow or something?

Strip curtains would certainly add an industrial look.

How 'bout a set of bi-fold doors, or accordion doors for a shallower profile?

Last edited:
A friend of ours has a house that has a hall of doors. He removed a couple of them just to make things a bit more sane. Could the doors be removed or rehinged to swing inward on some of the other rooms so that the basement door can swing into the hall?

Reactions: Ehouse
Might want to post a floorplan drawing/sketch of the area to get some ideas.

Might want to post a floorplan drawing/sketch of the area to get some ideas.

I think it would take a masters degree from RPI to even consider drawing a floor plan for this space. After a bit more thought and fiddling, I ended up putting a 32", pre-hung door at the bottom of the stairs. I was hoping to avoid adding an additional door to the mix, but I think this will work out. Bonus is that I found an unused set of lever door handles that fit the door so I can more easily open the door with a full load of wood in my arms.

As always, I appreciate the thoughtful response we've come to admire here on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.