Struggling to pick new stacking location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I have stacked next year's wood between all my close trees, then moved on to stacking on pallets (3). Lack of flat ground required me to shim a couple corners of the pallets with bricks and wood blocks to get them level. Now I have more wood to stack and will be using pallets, but I don't have any convenient, flat ground left. I'll probably have to shim with some cinderblocks or sacrifice a few splits. Anybody had to shim like this and have any guidance or gotchas I should look out for? Unfortunately my remaining areas will be under trees and not get much sun once the leaves come back out. I plan to stack everything criss-cross to promote air flow since I'll won't have much sun.

If you have a few (4 pallets ) you may want to try building a Holz Hausen. You only need a base of 6 foot diameter to create the "foundation". IF you have limited space this would be my suggestion.

Been there, done that. I don't want to do another holz with this wood.

Can u put slab concrete down? if burning wood your normally in it for the long run anyway.

3/4' fill rock land scaped in..........

4"x4" poles or steel post concreteded into the ground on the low side .........

Store it in the neighbors yard and give him a 6 pack for it ..............

Your welcome to store all you want here, plenty of room :)
BTW My Holz , 1/2 just came tumbling down LOL. Oh well, it can lay there now, I'll teach it a lesson.

Well, this monumental task has been completed. Took longer to decide where to put the new pallets (the design phase) than to actually set them down and level them (the construction phase). Right now I'm in the resting-my-aching-back phase after bending over to get the first couple of rows going :) Looking forward to the burn phase this time next year as this is some righteous hickory!

Set "phasers" to stun. Congrats. I got piles everywhere. Not sure I'll even stack them till spring now.

Looks like you figured it out, but since I already took the pictures: here are my piles on pallets on either side of my house, it's a walkout basement so there's a good slope. The one on the right I slapped together in 10 minutes last week; I just laid down some landscape timber scraps I had lying around, and the weight of the wood does the rest. The one on the left is a converted garden box, so it was pretty easy to drop down some pallets flat. Pallet stacks are hard to get wrong, in my experience, plus the pallets can be firewood or kindling in a pinch. Kind of like an edible salad bowl. :lol:

Attachments

• Struggling to pick new stacking location
    pallets_north.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Struggling to pick new stacking location
    pallets_south1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 249
Hogwildz - weird! I was reading that book last night "Set Phasers On Stun" - a book of poorly designed systems that killed people. It's kind of a lessons learned book for engineers. Scary stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.