Stump houses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Reactions: BrotherBart
One was 22 ft. diameter ... the size of my living room/dining room! My daughter, a twin, complained that her room was too small and prior to that she had to share a room with her sister. She doesn't realize how good she had it compared to others. Now that she and her new Hubby are looking for a house, maybe she'll understand...

I've seen a few of those pictures before. Growing up, my parents had a collection of history books on the American West, each on a specific theme : Railroads, 49'ers, the Pioneers, etc. My favorite was the The Loggers. Lots of info and pictures of giant trees, Shay locomotives, lumber mills, etc.

I do miss the idea of seeing those trees spread much more commonly throughout the landscape, but in those days, the sense of endless bounty was understandable when you see how each little lumber town was effectively isolated by a vast expanse of forest, connected to the rest of the world by a few muddy roads, and maybe a thin ribbon of rail through the forests. It took decades for those circles of logged areas to expand a little bit further at a time...

*Edit - Found them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_West

Yes, I remember those books. Reminds me of my shortest term of employment as a phone seller of them. I lasted about 3 hrs. of waking old people up and pitching the books. Definitely was not my thing.

I always like the book My Side of the Mountain back in elementary school.

Wasnt a Stump but Sam Gribley hollowed out an old hemlock tree.

I always like the book My Side of the Mountain back in elementary school.

Wasnt a Stump but Sam Gribley hollowed out an old hemlock tree.
I still have copies of My Side of the Mountain, The Other Side of the Mountain, and Frightful's Mountain. I remember reading them as a kid and they captured my one boy's imagination too! Reread them when I bought them for the kids and they are waiting for the next generation to enjoy :)

Yes, I remember those books. Reminds me of my shortest term of employment as a phone seller of them. I lasted about 3 hrs. of waking old people up and pitching the books. Definitely was not my thing.

Funny coincidence: just last night, shortly after I saw your post, I happened to be chatting with our janitor at work, and the subject of employee retention came up.

He said he used to work for a company that did book keeping for telemarketing companies. He recalled running a report on one company for some data related to employees with less than 90 days tenure. The result didn't make sense to him, so he started trying other queries to understand why.

Finally he tried total payroll hours per employees for those hired in the last 90 days.

The average was 2.6 hours.

The overwhelming trend was either you figured out how to deal with the abuse, the tedium, and misgivings about making unsolicited calls and stayed with the company for years because the money was decent...or you walked out before even making it to lunch break on your first day.

I figured out that unsolicited sales was not my thing in a couple hours. Never collected a paycheck for it either. Wrote it off to the cost of a good education.

Status
Not open for further replies.